PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Daytymer
04/08/2003, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself and see if you all had some ideas for beginners. I am new to reefs, have experience with FO's and way too much experience with FW. I haven't had anything but FW in about 8 yrs and want to get back into it. Figured I'd just go with a reef. They are awesome! From what I can tell, things have changed in 8 yrs.

I am in the stages of setting up a 90 corner overflow. We are currently building a stand and re-plumbing the sump. I need some suggestions on lighting. In the end, I would like to have the proper lighting to be able to house anything. Initially, whatever is going to work for some hardy species.

I am looking for suggestions on stocking the tank. I am trying to put a "wish list" together right now and need to find out about some good hardy corals that won't succumb (too easily at least) to a newbie. By the way, how long does it take to learn what a "zoo" is and what a "zenia" looks like? I feel really out of the loop.

I have about 80lbs of southdown and want to add live sand. Any thoughts on how much? What are your opinions on live rock? Type and quantity?

I am researching everything and in a lot of ways getting overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. If anybody wants to design my setup for me I would highly consider it!

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to fit it all in one thread. Please feel free to email me with any suggestions. daytymer@sssnet.com Thanks... Laurey

szwab
04/08/2003, 11:29 AM
My first reccomendation would be books books and more books! there are several good ones out there. I have personally read and continuously reffered to "the Reef Aquarium" volumes 1 and 2 . if you do a search you will be able to find other books people reccomend.
Second go slow!The only things that happen fast in a reef tank are bad. Good things take time. you need to be patient.

Sounds like you have decided to go with a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) I cannot advise on that since I have not used one I'm still part of a dying breed of plenum users. For your lighting I would go with metal halides (2) 175 watt or 250. www.oceanencounter.com has the best prices on icecap ballasts that I have seen. Ice caps 175 watt is almost equal to a standard 250 watt. You should also try and attend our meetings. One thing you'll find is that there is no one definite answer for anything, it's mostly what works for you. Keep an open mind ask lots of questions. i personally rather have someone ask questions than turn around and kill something because they didn't know what they were buying. so ask away and we'll all try and help you out.
you will need to cyle your tank 1st before you get any coral you can do that two ways really hardy fish like damsels or just "feed an empty tank" both ways you should seed your SD sand with live sand 2 to 3 pounds should be enough. I'd use the later of the two for one no risk of killing anything and second your not stuck with a fish that you may not want in the future.

singerk
04/08/2003, 01:41 PM
Lets start with Nice Tank :thumbsup:, I like AGA corner units, Someday maybe I'll get one.
For lighting IMO would be Metal Halide, I've used NO, VHO, PC and MH. MH to me provides the best lighting both in appearance and the ability to maintain a wide range of reef inhabitants. I prefer the Iwasaki 6500k lamps with Actinic lighting to balance out the color to a more whitish appearance. For a 90 corner I would suggest 250 watt with maybe 2 VHO Actinic’s. If your looking to keep some higher intensity light loving corals like Acropora’s or some of the Clam species you may want to look at a 400 watt MH because with the corner unit you may not have enough room for 2 250 MH bulbs depending on your canopy design.

If you do plan on going with a DSB, you will probably want around 200 lbs of Southdown plus some live sand to seed it with to give somewhere between 4-6 inches. Otherwise 80 lbs will give you about 1½ of sand, to which you can add around 100-120 lbs of live rock. Do a search on sand beds and I’m sure you’ll find many suggestions on what will work best for you.

Having someone else design a Reef system for you would probably not work out to well without knowing your exact requirements for animal preference’s, budget, your maintenance habits, design/decor/space preferences, Budget etc Budget etc. You get the $idea$
So I too highly recommend reading up on this yourself as well as search the RC boards and also post questions if you don’t find what you’re looking for. And definitely attend the next meeting, I’m sure there will be enough people there to answer most if not all your questions with some pretty accurate if not intelligent answers. :D
FWIW – you never stop learning in this hobby, about the time you figure out what a “zoo� is, someone has added 25 more new species to the list and none of them look like your “zoo� :eek:
Which by the way are Zoanthid’s, There is actually a forum dedicated these little guys, You might want to consider some of these for tank as well.

NorthCoast
04/08/2003, 02:08 PM
I agree with much of the responses so thus far:

From what I can tell, things have changed in 8 yrs.
You may want to give this a quick read if you haven't seen it yet:
http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

I am in the stages of setting up a 90 corner overflow. We are currently building a stand and re-plumbing the sump. I need some suggestions on lighting. In the end, I would like to have the proper lighting to be able to house anything. Initially, whatever is going to work for some hardy species.
With a corner tank I would look at a single 400w MH in the center and some 24" VHO flourescent lights. It will give you the best coverage for the space.

I am looking for suggestions on stocking the tank. I am trying to put a "wish list" together right now and need to find out about some good hardy corals that won't succumb (too easily at least) to a newbie.
Here is a list to look at:

Discosoma sp., Lobophytum sp., Sarcophyton sp., Capnella sp., Sinularia sp., Protopalythoa sp., Zoanthus sp., and Briareum sp. are all soft corals that should do fine in your tank. The common names are mushroom anemones, mushroom leather corals, kenya trees, leathers, button polyps, zooanthids and star polyps

By the way, how long does it take to learn what a "zoo" is and what a "zenia" looks like? I feel really out of the loop.
I may take some time, however, certain thing come more quickly than others. A nice feature is the on-line library for researching specific topics:
http://reefcentral.com/directory/index.php?sid=315386574&t=sub_pages&cat=85
...and on-line articles:
http://reefcentral.com/directory/index.php?sid=315386574&t=sub_pages&cat=34
...and on-line magazines:
http://reefcentral.com/directory/index.php?sid=315386574&t=sub_pages&cat=17

Some of the information is cross-referenced but it all can be very useful.

I have about 80lbs of southdown and want to add live sand. Any thoughts on how much?
I would go with 4" depth with dry sand to start. Add the LR and/or a detrivore kit once the tank is more established. Here is more reading:

http://reefcentral.com/directory/index.php?sid=315386574&t=sub_pages&cat=45
http://reefcentral.com/directory/index.php?sid=315386574&t=sub_pages&cat=337

What are your opinions on live rock? Type and quantity?
120 lbs. of Marshall Island and Figii.

I am researching everything and in a lot of ways getting overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. If anybody wants to design my setup for me I would highly consider it!
The setup is where the learning and fun is! :D

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to fit it all in one thread.
Keep the questions coming... :)

Daytymer
04/08/2003, 03:59 PM
Oops.. talk about a newbie... I should have stated more clearly. My tank is a 90... standard ole rectangle shape, predrilled with a single corner overflow.

Thanks for all the information and links. By the way, when is the next meeting?

I made it down to a LFS store today. Re: lighting... The one uses VHO in one of their setups, another of the setups uses a compact flourscent/actinic setup and the last setup is MH. Whew! They do it that way to give you a variety. Okie dokie then. On that note, I've learned that 1. my standard canopy isn't going to work for any of them, 2. I want to consider not using the glass "lids" and keep the top open, 3. I am putting this in my basement so I can actually hang lighting from the ceiling and not have it look too bad.

How far do I want to position the lights above the tank? I will have to check the depth of the tank, I can't remember it offhand.

Sump/plumbing construction:

I have learned the hard way, and I'm sure I'm not the first... that overflow can be a problem when the electricity goes out. Thus the reason for the building of a new stand. Those standard AGA stands are poorly constructed. Anyway, I would like to avoid this in the future and would prefer not going with an overflow box. It was suggested to me by the LFS that I lengthen the input tube (for lack of a proper name). Anybody have any other suggestions? It is running into a 15gal sump underneath.

Ok, I am out of questions for the moment. Thanks again for all your input!!

singerk
04/08/2003, 05:05 PM
How far do I want to position the lights above the tank? I will have to check the depth of the tank, I can't remember it offhand The general rule for MH are 6-10" above the water, I keep mine a 10"

Anyway, I would like to avoid this in the future and would prefer not going with an overflow box. It was suggested to me by the LFS that I lengthen the input tube (for lack of a proper name). Anybody have any other suggestions? It is running into a 15gal sump underneath If you have the corner overflow in the AGA you do not need any other type of overflow box. They were possibly referring to one of the Return modifications such as Durso or Stockman,Do a search for more info on these for a better explaination as to their purpose.
As far as power outage problems overflowing things, Just be sure to leave enough free space in your sump for the overflow, for your 90 AGA Reef-ready that will probably be around 4 gallons.
Basically for your 15g sump, You'll want to keep the water level at no more then 2/3 to allow for the Tank drainage in the event off a power outage or maintenance.

Norm R
04/08/2003, 05:34 PM
Daytymer,

If you elect to go the fish route for cycling, I will have 3 yellowtail blue damsels that will be looking for a home in the next couple of weeks. My son bought an established tank and they came along for the ride. If you're in the area in the near future, you'd be welcome to them.

Norm

NorthCoast
04/08/2003, 09:07 PM
FYI - Richard Durso's site is:
http://www.rl180reef.com
Then enter and follow the links to standpipes. :)