PDA

View Full Version : Group buy on refractometers

luminary
04/08/2003, 09:31 AM
A member of the Bosten Reef Club (tstone on RC) has offered us a group purchase on refractometers. The cost will be $37 ea if anyone is interested. If you're interested, let me know. We will be collecting money for them through the club and doing a single purchase.

ijneb
04/16/2003, 08:31 PM
I want one, maybe two.
Ben

tstone
04/29/2003, 09:41 PM
Just givin it a bump ;)

Later

scubadude
04/30/2003, 11:45 AM
Hey Tstone
How bout giving us some specs on this refractometer....The only thing that makes me gunshy is the price being so cheap makes me wonder if the quality is cheap as well....pics, namebrand, composition, previous experience w/these models etc. anything that will give us some more information on the type of refractometer it is.

luminary
04/30/2003, 11:50 AM
Hey Rocky...I spoke with Marvin about this when he first contacted me with the offer...It's basically an OEM version of this one (http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/aquahort/refract.htm).

It's also the same one that www.customaquatics.com has for $65.

scubadude
04/30/2003, 01:00 PM
sounds good Matt! If thats the case then I will probably order 2 of them. When is the deadline? May 10th our next meeting? And does that include shipping? are all units coming to you then we pick them up at a meeting I presume? One last ques and I swear I will be done :p Do they come w/ a pouch or case and warranty? Ok...that was 2 questions wasnt it...hehe

luminary
04/30/2003, 01:16 PM
Marvin didn't give me a deadline and I know he can get them in an ongoing basis, so I don't think we're rushed.

I'm thinking that I'll give it until the end of May. I haven't brought it up at a meeting yet, so I don't want the deadline to be this meeting.

We'll place just one order. I'll collect the money and place the order and receive the shipment, then we can distribute at a meeting (or if someone needs other arrangements I can work it out with them).

There isn't a "formal" warranty per se, but Marvin has said that if anyone is unhappy with it, he'll refund it with no problems.

From what I've heard, a bunch of people up north have gotten them from him and are happy.

tstone
04/30/2003, 01:16 PM
Scubadude
check out thisthread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=172453)

Definitely good quality for the money.

check out this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157076&highlight=refractometers) as well.

Everyone that gets them is happy. no complaints at all.

rjung1
04/30/2003, 07:55 PM
Matt, Scubadude, others:

They are worth the price! I have one (black model) and can bring it to the next meeting for you guys to check out. I paid about $50 for mine :mad2:
Robin

gupebreedr
04/30/2003, 08:18 PM
Greetings,

I'm not a member of the Tampa club but live in Tampa, is it possible I can get into this deal too?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
:bum:

scubadude
05/01/2003, 05:44 PM
Ok matt, definately put me down for 2 of em.

Rocky

swhedbee
05/03/2003, 07:34 PM
I bought a refractometer from marine depot about a month ago because I didn't trust my hydrometer. After I got it, I calibrated it with the provided calibration fluid, measured my water, and discovered that my hydrometer is totally accurate.

So I'm still using the deep-6 because it's faster...

I would have been better off checking my hydrometer against somebody's refractometer but I didn't know anybody that had one....

Oh well.......

-Sam

peerboerner
05/04/2003, 03:59 PM
All,

I bought one of these from Premium Aquatics and I'm very pleased with it. I've offered to host the next club meeting at my home - more on that from Matt in the near future... but anyway, if you come, I'll let you see and use mine. I just wish I waited for this opportunity. I paid $65.00 for mine :mad2: , but I'm really very happy with it!

Peer

McSierra
05/09/2003, 01:35 PM
Click here to see this same deal for NJ Members (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180409)

Also, The reason I've wandered over here is because in the next few months I plan to move back to Tampa..

imgrtful
05/12/2003, 04:56 PM
are you going to open the offer to orca members as well?

luminary
05/12/2003, 04:59 PM
yes....thanx for reminding me.

luminary
05/12/2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by gupebreedr
Greetings,

I'm not a member of the Tampa club but live in Tampa, is it possible I can get into this deal too?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
:bum:

Yes, if you promise to come out to at least one meeting :)

imgrtful
05/12/2003, 05:26 PM
i'll get with rocky at our may 31st meeting if he drives that far.its a hike for me so i know he may have to charter a plane

The H2O Guru
05/12/2003, 10:04 PM
Please keep us in mind next time you want to do a group buy .
I grew up in Tampa and who knows ,maybe I will run in to an old friend .

Anything that we offer could be set up for a discount group buy .

Walter

teog
05/21/2003, 09:12 AM
I would like 1. Im an ORCA member.

luminary
05/27/2003, 06:30 PM
Updated info here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193885).