PDA

View Full Version : Zoo's and Crustaceans

slylie
04/08/2003, 06:03 AM
Ok, you guys convinced me, and I wanna put some zoo's in a tank that is cycling now that will contain an anemone and a few crustaceans.. (thinking sponge crab, Coral Branded, and Anemone Crab)

do crustaceans bother zoos? (the ones listed I mean)

cheers!

SeanT
04/08/2003, 07:30 AM
My crabs and shrimp could care less about the zo's in my tank.
I just want to caution you to wait at LEAST 6 months for your tank to stabilize and mature before placing an anemone in there.

slylie
04/08/2003, 07:57 PM
yeah I am going to do this one slow. The tank has been cycling now for 1 month, I still have managed to hold off on adding anything even though the ammo and Trite are at 0 and the trate is up. I'm probably going to wait another month or so and add the crustaceans, then about 4 or so months later the anemones and anemone crab. How long shall I Wait to put in the zoos?

Also, I wanted to add a christmas tree rock. Any idea how long to add that.?

Just to let u know, here are the specs.

20 gal tall
15lbs Liverock
5" DSB (Aragonite reef sand)
Powerhead
Aquaclear 300 w/just the carbon and sponge.

My livestock, in the end will be.

Coral Branded Shrimp
Sponge Crab
Anemone Crab
Either Long Tentacle/Sebae/Bubble Anemone. (to be researched)
***. Zoo's
***. Mushroom's

I allready did a rush 15gal, which I learned from my mistakes, and now I'm trying to do it right.

cheers.

musicsmaker
04/10/2003, 09:55 PM
You might want to do a search on Christmas tree rock, or porites. It seems I remember that they have a poor survival rate.

Id'e say you could add the zoanthids whenever you put the crustaceans in. Just be sure that your water is stable, and you can't go wrong IMO. Zoa's are a tough coral.

FWIW, I got rid of a coral banded shrimp for, amongst other things, tromping all over my zoanthids all the time. They used to stay closed a lot because of that bugger. A real coral banded nightmare.