PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon Frag Tank - Questions.

Rock Anemone
04/08/2003, 01:09 AM
Hey everyone! I'm planning on setting up a frag tank in the next month and have some questions.

Tell me what you think of these plans, any advice is appreciated.

Tank Size
20 gallon AGA tall. Open wood stand, tall 9" high hood.

Filtration
Aqua-Clear 300. Used to run carbon constantly and provide surface movement.

2 - MINI-Jet Pump Model 404 - 13-108 gph with DIY spray bars for circulation along the frag shelves.

I want to add a skimmer but am not sure which kind. I was thinking something along the lines of a prizm hang on. Something I can find used perhaps.
Lighting
1 - 175 watt 10K USHIO bulbs.
1 - 55 watt PC 03 Actinic.

Frag Placement
I will be placing 2 Egg Crate shelves in the tank. One 4 inches belong the surface, and one 5 inches below that.

The shelves will be siliconed to the sides as well as Super glued for more support.

SPS frags will be placed under the surface for maximum lighting.

LPS and a few softies will be placed on the middle shelf.

Clams and zooanthids will be placed on the bottom.

Liverock & Sand
There will be a 2" sandbed on the bottom, preferably from my main tank and new sand.

I will place a few pieces of liverock throughout the bottom to help with biological filtration as well as life.

Clean-up-crew & Maint.
I will probably have 10 Astrea snails and a few nass. snails.

As for cleaning, I will be scarping the glass weekly for a very clear view. That way when I take pictures of the frags, it will be clear.

I will be doing 25% water changes montly.

I will also run carbon in the hang on filter to help get rid of chemicals from the soft corals to prevent harm to the SPS.

Concerns
My only concern so far is the chemicals the softies may produce. To help eliminate this, I will be doing montly water changes as well as running carbon.

Once I get more money from this, I will set-up larger systems so I can seperate corals.

When we move in the future, I will be setting up 3 large 100 gallon acrylic systems with MH lighting. That way I can start propagating more corals and provide a variety of large corals for aquarists. I plan on starting a coral selling site in the far future, most likely called, "Love That Coral!." Where pictures of each frag will be put up so what you see is what you get.

I will be providing LOW LOW prices and good deals.

Let me know what you think of the temp. 20 gallon frag tank.

Rock Anemone:D

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 04:42 PM
hey john
everything you are doing sounds great . except one thing instead of the 175 10k i would use a 65k. with atinics. 65k is the closest to natural light you are gona get and corals grow better with the 65k . clams and sps really grow good under that light. i have a buddy whom is a aquatics biology major whom says that is the best lighting for grow out. you will get your colors better also on the frags. 10k and up is for appearances for display but the iwasaki 65 k is your best bet for the lighting. just thought i would add that. i just built a grow out system containing 2 29 gal. long acr. tanks stacked on top of each other. one has a 250watt 65k iwasaki with atinics vho's and the bottom just vho for softies and shrooms and such.
danny

Rock Anemone
04/09/2003, 05:08 PM
I was thinking about that too... I wonder if I put another actinic on there it would get rid of all the yellow... Hmmm...

Rock Anemone :D

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 05:10 PM
yes . that is what i did for a grow out system i dont much care about the yellow. and if its going to produce the frags thats what i want and the atinics will bring out the color for the frags also.
danny

isseym328
04/09/2003, 05:14 PM
Yo John,

I think that is a great idea. When I send you the frags make sure to prop them so they grow into nice swirling colonies =D. I agree in that color shouldn't matter too much if you want to prop them. You should just use the light that will give you the most growth. Maybe you can try natural sunlight? You can start up the 20g outside in the backyard/patio or something. That way you spend less on this setup and you get better results!

James

Rock Anemone
04/14/2003, 02:14 AM
I'm debating about making it a 40 gallon. I've seen some that aren't to high but more sware shaped and longer.

I think I might go with this, then upgrade to a 250 watt halide.

Also, if I place this set-up in the garage, there's a window that gets a lto of sunlight, I could use the natural sunlight as well as the original MH and actinics.

Rock Anemone:D