PDA

View Full Version : Sarcophyton Leather Fragging Itself

fahz
04/07/2003, 09:43 PM
This leather has almost doubled in size in the month and a half I've had it. Now it's fragging itself for the second time in two days. The frag already has a foot and is still attached on the front center of the leather. The first frag was placed loose on a piece of rock and it attached over night. It also had a foot just like this one.

Fahz

fahz
04/08/2003, 07:35 AM
Leather with polyps retracted note foot.

Reefvet
04/10/2003, 12:38 AM
I've had leathers doing this for years. This is how they reproduce after all.

danieljames
04/10/2003, 12:50 AM
very cool......thanks for the pics man.

kruxy
04/10/2003, 01:28 AM
feel free to mail it my way :)

fahz
04/10/2003, 07:36 AM
Reefvet:

Thanks for the response. I just posted this as a point of interest for those of us new to reefing like myself. Now that digital camaras are so common we are able to record things that we were only able to observed and not record before.

Fahz

Reefvet
04/10/2003, 05:27 PM
I see, pardon me if I my comment was inappropriate.

It's been my experience that leathers in a good stable reef tank will go through this process a couple of times a year. I have several that will drop 5 or 6 'buds', as I call them, over a month or so and then stop doing this for a while. I've never understood what conditions cause this to start, or stop.

fahz
04/10/2003, 06:21 PM
Reefvet:

No problem as I see it this is just a good place to enlighten and inform fellow reefers. I'm sure with your years of experience you have a lot to offer and people new to reefing, such as myself, are interested in learning.

I've been a scuba diver for years but reefing gives me a greater sense of the wonders of the reef.

Fahz :p

Reefvet
04/22/2003, 03:25 PM
This guy is a very prolific 'budder', that's my term, he drops a couple of dozen new corals off every year. At 14" across when he's fully open, he's able to spread them all over the place. I have to go all over the tank retreiving them so I can move them to a propogation tank.

http://merithost.net/development/jpgs/goldenh1.jpg