PDA

View Full Version : needed: moral support

Evergreen
04/05/2003, 10:41 PM
Lol!
Got my first batch of LR on Friday. Picked up transhipped/Walt smith thru East coast clams. 50lb Kaeleni 50lb fiji. NICE ROCK. I was happy with the shapes and the "life"- it was colorful etc.
I WAS thinking about adding the phytoplankton while it was curing. However the DTs bottle i got seemed to have some odor. I was hoping that phyto would both feed whatever "life" might be left on the rock, as well as utilising the nitrate/ammonia etc. produced by the curing process, and possibly reduce the inevitable algae bloom.
I added some of the phyto, hoping for the best. Well of course, the water right now is totally cloudy and smelly and ammonia is at 1.0 . You know, the english guy who used the phyto did this while curing rock but the difference was that he added CURED rock he already had in a tank, so his ammonia never got so high. Oh well!
We also went and got NSW from the Moriches inlet today. We got a new 55 gallon container, and pumped water right in. Frank used a converter thing which clamps onto the car's battery and a long extension cord to run the pump. A long "drinking water quality hose" ran from pump to tank in the back of the van. It worked great! Changing water while the rock is curing has also been debated, but i think the nsw could possibly help the quality so I'm going to run about a 50% water change. I don't think it could hurt :p
My mom came over and told me the house smelled like TURTLES.
I am going to fill sump with DSB and some water and let sand settle for the next few days. Will keep you posted. I need some moral support if anyone has some for me :p
I have a feeling the phyto only probably added to the decay aspect :rolleye1:
I am hoping to at least save SOME of the life, do you think any will survive that kind of ammonia spike?

fishome25
04/06/2003, 02:15 AM
sure it will. i think all of our rock went through the same thing.

Corpus Callosum
04/06/2003, 03:07 AM
Kim,

You know what you are doing. Do you know what it means not to be worried about something? Well I am not worried that you'll make it through this.

- Mike

joefish
04/06/2003, 09:16 AM
My house smelt like low tide for a few days .:rolleyes: It will go away , nothing to stress about . just wait until you clean a nasty skimmer cup PEW:eek2: . Well good luck and enjoy the ride .:)

Justjoe
04/06/2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Evergreen
Lol!
Changing water while the rock is curing has also been debated, but i think the nsw could possibly help the quality so I'm going to run about a 50% water change.

Changing the water is surely a good thing, change as much as possible, especially when its "free" water. You may even want to lower the pH of the new water to 7.6-7.8 so you don't make the ammonia more toxic when changing water with a higher pH. Adding small amounts of vinegar or muriatic acid will do the trick with careful testing.
Joe

Evergreen
04/06/2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys:rolleye1: