PDA

View Full Version : problem with peppermints?

stocker
04/05/2003, 12:18 PM
Has anyone ever had a problem with peppermints eating their zoo frags?
I bought a nice colored frag from The Logical Reef, and within 2 days, my peppermint shrimp picked the frag clean. Needless to say, ever since I have been trying to remove the shrimp. But to no avail. Any ideas.

TS
04/05/2003, 05:55 PM
I have heard of this before. It seems rather uncommon but definitely happens.

My peppermints wnet after my yellow zoanthids (parazoanthus) for a couyple days, but as I started feeding them more they left the polyps alone.

Peronally, i would get rid of those peppermints.

Travis

vikingkim
04/06/2003, 03:08 AM
Yeah, "get rid of the peppermint", so much easier said than done!! I'm gonna tag along on this one if you don't mind. One LFS here thought it was REAL funny when I told them, "Yea, I can keep gorgonians and flashing scallops alive forever, but I can't keep a yellow polyp @#$% !!"

Lorretto
04/06/2003, 11:39 AM
peppermints are only good for to eat aptasia. Once aptasia is gone take em back to your lfs. They will decimate your pod poppulation. Once I had a lot of pods crawling around and when i added peppermint after 2 weeks not a sign of them. Evil peppermints also will eat bristle worms.

When I added zoo's he started eating them so it was time to take him out. Best way to capture him is at night when they are busy feeding.
Try using a big net with shrimp meet in it and he will walk into the trap and scoop him out. If that does't work get 2 small nets and set piece of meet in the open on sand and wait. Once he is close block his way back using the 2 nets and eventually you will trap him.

TS
04/06/2003, 12:48 PM
My "x-terminator" mantis trap was hreat at catching peppermints. Couldn't catch a mantis for the world, but if you want the peps out I'd get one of those.

T

KorbinDallas
04/07/2003, 08:38 PM
Get a red light bulb. Turn out every light in your house at night so its pitch-black. Shine the light in the tank, and net him out.

My shrimp swim around at night and don't appear to be able to see red light...;)

slylie
04/08/2003, 05:38 AM
Peppermint shrimp cleaned out all my cute little featherduster worms. :mad2:

KorbinDallas
04/11/2003, 08:52 PM
You could get a dottyback, or a hawkfish to get revenge on the shrimp...

giantxtc
04/17/2003, 12:29 AM
Yeah,my hawk ate up all three of my peppermints and other things too.He is no longer in the tank either.I have no idea how he caught them because they were deep in the rock.

stocker
04/17/2003, 09:59 AM
Hello everyone, thanks for all of your input. Used alot of your suggestions, and now all three peppermints are gone. My last 2 zoo frags have been totally open since.