PDA

View Full Version : Chicagoland shopping

Matt Dietrich
04/03/2003, 11:14 PM
I'm coming to Chicago (from Springfield) in a few weeks to take the kids to Shedd Aquarium and the museums. We'd like to do some aquarium-related shopping while we're there. Does anyone have suggestions on the best/biggest places to check out for live rock and fish?

imbuggin
04/03/2003, 11:27 PM
there are a bunch do a search there was just a bunch of posts on the subject. Best one close to where you will be is old town aquarium on wells. (high prices nice fish)

billzie
04/04/2003, 07:04 AM
Matt, If you're just a day tripper, you may not have time to go to a few shops. Old Towne is the closest but very high priced and in a congested traffic area. I'm more familiar with the shops on the N and NW side of town/burbs. Living Sea is a nice place for critters (high priced) and is only a few minutes off of I-90 near Ohare and an easy swing to get back on the road. Live rock is a crap shoot anywhere in the city and it's all pretty much overpriced for the quality. If you really had time your ultimate best bet is to head out to Harbor Aquatics in Indiana (about 40 min drive from downtown) and see Joys' place, good people. She absolutely has the best deals on LR and a great selection of corals, not much fish though. And, last but not least, you can always find a few good folks here and see what they have available. HTH, Bill.

jcm1229
04/04/2003, 09:58 AM
If you do stop at LivingSea, do consider buying a bit of the Bali LR. I'ts VERY porous - so even though it costs a bit more, you don't need as much. It has lots of shapes and holes and is great for placing corals. I stocked my nano at work with this stuff, and have had lots of life from it - macros, some polyps, etc...

I'm going to start up a 75 later this year and will use mostly Fiji from Harbor Aquatics, but will add some Bali for sure.

hcs3
04/04/2003, 11:10 AM
matt,

[welcome]

FWIW (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=171367), CIMA members from springfield are already planning on attending. you would certainly be more than welcome.

henry

AuroraDave
04/04/2003, 07:21 PM
If you are interested in corals, I would suggest Menards. Check out the Pet shop poll above for his phone number (Reef Dwellers).
Great selection and prices.

imbuggin
04/04/2003, 08:05 PM
If you go to reefdwellers call menard a day before. Most of his frags come from his home tank. They are great, but store isn't much. To see his corals go to www.reefaholics.com best sps in chicago

murphs5150
04/04/2003, 11:22 PM
I second Harbor Aquatics. Not that long of a trip from Chicago, so if your staying a couple days I would check it out. Very impressive set up and nice people.