PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Needs??

Tomber
04/02/2003, 08:58 PM
What do mushrooms need to have in the tank to grow and be healthy??
ie:
What salinity?
How much light?
Do they need calcium?
What pH?
What alkalinity?
Do they need phytoplankton?
Do the need Kalkwasser mix?

Any and all info would be much appreciated!!! :D TIA

Chele

Ddddrgnfly
04/03/2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by chele
What do mushrooms need to have in the tank to grow and be healthy??

First thing that comes to mind is SALTWATER:smokin:

LOL. Normal tank parameters and lighting will keep them healthy. I think they prefer a lil less intense lighting from what I've observed in my tank.

Rog

jhead67
04/03/2003, 05:49 PM
Saltwater was a good answer. You can't hardly kill mushrooms unless you just ignore your tank conditions. No additional calcium or Kalk is required, beyond keeping your tank at normal conditions. Your snails and crabs will use more calcium than mushroom. Small regular water changes weekly or biweekly should be more than enough for just mushrooms. I don't feed phyto to my mushrooms, But I do target feed mysis shrimp on occasion, it's pretty cool to watch them eat. JMHO, HTH.

Tomber
04/03/2003, 07:32 PM
So then I don't need to add calcium or other trace elements to the ro/di water? Or are you meaning keep those around normal for a reef tank??

Hey what can I say.. I work full time, go to school full time.. Don't have much time to think!!! :lol:

Chele

Ddddrgnfly
04/03/2003, 11:57 PM
If you do regular water changes with new salt as we all should, you will get enough trace elements to sustain them

Rog

Tomber
04/04/2003, 02:16 PM
Cool... Thanks a bunch!!!
:rollface:

cj7jeep81
04/04/2003, 03:24 PM
Make sure you keep an eye on your salinity. My hydrometer was off (by about .005) so my salinity was at 1.030 instead of 1.025. I lost 90% of my shrooms to this.
After I got this fixed, they have been doing great.

Kevomac
04/14/2003, 08:53 AM
The only things I have found that kill shrooms are low ph (from a crash several years ago) and too much light (from an upgrade to VHO which wiped out a thriving stock of green fuzzies I had that had reproduced all over the tank. They were threatening to take over until the light change.) Other than that, just do regular maintainence and they should do great!

keithr
04/17/2003, 02:14 AM
From my experience, they seem happier and reproduce faster when dosing iodine once a week.

Some mushrooms, such as Ricordea do better with brighter lighting, but most are fine out of the direct light.

Good luck.