PDA

View Full Version : Calcium in water???

Russel
04/02/2003, 08:10 PM
hello all from mn,

as you know living in the boondoggs sucks because you can never pick up all the things that you want.

anyways, i have had LR in my tank for some time now and i thought that they would like it if i added some calcium to the tank. only problem is that no one in town carries tests for it, and i never have the oppertunity to go to the cities. I have the additive but i don't know what level of calcium is in normal water? Is there none unless you add to it? would like to know if i could add some before the next trip to the cities for the test.

wsm #59
04/02/2003, 11:01 PM
what kind of salt are you using? usually with water changes the calcium should be around 380 to 420 which is fine. No there is no way to know with out testing. as a side not what kind of LFS do you have down there? I live in Park Rapids. I have only one LFS not bad but not good.

Whit

Russel
04/04/2003, 01:00 AM
hi wsm #59

If that is the case than i am sure that it is fine, ill just have to wait to pick up a tester.

As for the LFS here in cloud, they are alright (we have 2 that carry sw, one with corals). It seems to me that they only carry the basics though. I'm sure that the reefers in the area are getting their stuff from other places.

As for my salt mix, i am currently using instant ocean.

thanks for the reply.

FastFish720
05/03/2003, 02:43 PM
Well if you do water changes I would suggest using reef crystals since I had some good trace elements. IO has some but there aren't as many.

I don't personally own a calcium kit, but your coraline algae growth will slow if there isn't enough calcium in the water.

Russel
05/03/2003, 10:18 PM
Hi FastFish720

where would i be able to pick up the reef crystals salt mix? in st cloud i have checked the LFS and they dont have that brand. what are your suggestions?

russel

benihana
05/04/2003, 07:07 AM
russel-
I accepted a new position in richfield and will be commuting for a few months. If you are unable to find a test kit for calcium around here, I am willing to pick one up for you at a store in the cities.

Let me know
Benihana:strooper:

Russel
05/04/2003, 11:24 AM
thanks for the offer.

I just sent out an order through marine depot. I will have to keep you in mind in the future

russel

benihana
05/04/2003, 11:39 AM
no problem, let me know if you need me to stop in the future

EdgeKrusher
05/12/2003, 01:07 PM
I hope you got the Salifert test cuz I picked up the Aquarium Systems test and it's bogus, or my calcium is way high. My alkalinity is at about 2.5 though I haven't checked in a couple of days. I've noticed coraline algae decline but when I tested the water it said I had calcium 0f 850 or so. I'm ordering the salifert unless there's a LFS in the cities that sell that brand.

Russel
05/12/2003, 09:52 PM
I noticed two red mushrooms in my tank that popped out of nowhere. Also, i have this cool dark red micro algae (i think) thats blooming like a sea fan. Anybody know for sure that this is micro algae. Checked cal about 2 weeks ago and it was at 390. I think its still ok.

EdgeKrusher
05/13/2003, 09:21 AM
Russel,
Do you have a pic of this questionable micro algae?

Russel
05/14/2003, 11:29 PM
sorry,

my camera broke about two weeks ago, saving up for a new one though.

russel

Russel
05/17/2003, 06:20 PM
this is the best pic i can get of it for now. As i said before it is attacted to the rock by a small base, and then it blooms in to what looks kinda like a fan.