PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Conch

dadevil23335
04/01/2003, 11:37 PM
Hey SoCal reefers,

I was just at Tong's in Fountain Valley and they have the fighting conches there for $10. It's a bit high, but they are also sometimes hard to find...so pay up the extra $2-4 and get one now. Damn, that sounded like an advertisement:D They also have some nice frags in their frag tank, too bad they didn't have brine shrimp though, main reason I go there on tuesdays after work.

Konadog
04/02/2003, 12:12 AM
How many did they have? I was there last thursday looking for brine also, NO ONE has any! The small frag tank in the back did have some nice frags in it!

dadevil23335
04/02/2003, 12:17 AM
Ken - they had about 20-30 i think. Yeah, all the brine is still screwed up right now. I was told that due to the heavy rain that we had a few weeks ago, it ruined the water that they were raising the brine in causing the water to go to acidic and killing off the population. They are re-seeding it now and hopefully we can soon start to see brine on a regular basis again. My fish are hating me right now, feeding them flakes, pillets, and frozen foods....they want their treat!

Lyndel

P.S. Yo man, when we gonna trade? You're probably one of the closest reefer to me and we still haven't hooked up.:D

SurferStevo
04/02/2003, 12:19 AM
How come I have no luck with Tong's sps frags? It's like 50% RTN on me? I was just there on Saturday The frags look nice but they had some good zoo colors in the same tank.

Konadog
04/02/2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks Lyndel, I may go there tomorrow and pick up one. That’s what they told me about the brine also, checked with Strictly Fish by my house and they only said there was a problem with all of the brine and it would be awhile before anyone had any.

SurferStevo
04/02/2003, 01:08 AM
If you guys want I'll give you some eggs - wait 24hrs & you got naupilli.

dadevil23335
04/02/2003, 01:14 AM
Steve - not sure buddy on why you aren't getting those frags to settle down, I've been getting pretty good success with frags I get from them. Keep in mind that those frags are not coming from someone elses tanks. Those frags are from a colony that might have RTN'd in some branches and they fragged it in hopes of saving the colony and continue to make money off of the coral. So, you are looking at a very stress out coral.
1) being a wild colony
2) not fully acclimated to any tank condition
3) a frag from a wild colony
4) a frag coming from an RTN'ing colony
so alot of negatives there, so you are pretty much looking at a hit or miss. But so far, i've done well with frags from his store.

SurferStevo
04/02/2003, 01:43 AM
I'm just noting a pattern here. I guess I'm just not sure where they are coming from (possibly an RTN'ing colony?). The frags I got from you & other reefers are doing great. But I guess you take your chances.
Lyndell, did you say you work at CHOC?

dadevil23335
04/02/2003, 02:31 AM
No, I did an internship at St. Josephs for 6 weeks. I work in Huntington Beach Outpatient Orthopaedics doing Physical Therapy.

Steve the frags that you get from everyone else are from established colonies that have acclimated to aquarium life and it's various artificial settings. These wild colonies that we get sometimes don't do well because they don't acclimate as well as they should, some are trying to acclimate but suffering from whatever RTN'd the mother colony and re-establish itself(the frag) as a new colony and begin to prosper...somehow, somewhere along the line, they aren't able to make it to the next step, and RTN like the mother colony and some regain strength and prosper, and that's the hit or miss with wild colonies.

This is why it's good to attain corals from established tanks, these corals are already accustomed to a stationary, constant form of lighting, unlike the sea where it doesn't receive a steady stream of light from the sun due to several reasons, one being cloud coverage. In the aquarium, they don't get a little break since we have the lights on like clockwork using timers, and some corals don't adjust quickly enough to this type of lighting and dies and some die due to other reasons such as poor water quality, with our tanks being a closed system and can never be as clean and full of life as natural sea water and it's gigantic size and diluting mechanism to rid of waste.

Sorry for the long reply, these damn hands just kept on typing. I'm not proof reading this so i hope it makes sense:)

s13silvia
04/02/2003, 08:18 PM
hey Lyndel,

i'm assuming you already picked up those FC's...i was at my LFS and they didn't have any left...

dadevil23335
04/02/2003, 08:53 PM
Nam - yes, I did get a few already to try out. Thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot. Thanks for all your work in checking for me. Let me know when you're ready to start trading.

Brian Koyama
04/03/2003, 12:29 AM
Lyndel,
I was unable to post before you got your FC's. I have a huge one (3" long) that I will give you if you still need it. It's tank raised and I purchased it from JustPhish last year.
Brian

dadevil23335
04/03/2003, 01:50 AM
Brian,

Hey, I could never refuse free stuff. My tank is big enough to have some more, I only purchased a few to try out. I haven't seen them since I placed them in the tank, they're on the sand behind the rocks or something. Let me know when you want to hook up, perhaps we can do some coral trading also:D Email me at: dadevil2335@aol.com and let me know what you have available for trades.

Lyndel

Konadog
04/03/2003, 05:05 PM
If anyone is thinking of getting a FC from Tongs, they only have about 20 left. I picked one up today around noon.

David P
04/06/2003, 12:01 AM
Aquarium City in Chatsworth usally has them as well. Nam, this may save you a drive

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
04/06/2003, 01:09 AM
Yea i got mine from Aquarium City for 5 bucks

David P
04/06/2003, 01:10 AM
Hey another valley reefer!

s13silvia
04/06/2003, 12:30 PM
David,

thats where i usually get my fish if i don't have time to drive down to jeff's since its not even 5 min away from my house. i was just there last friday and they had a bunch, but my queen is growing bigger in the past 2 weeks since i can now see a new section of shell forming.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
04/06/2003, 02:44 PM
That's where i usually get my fish from too. I've been to Jeffs once because it takes like an hour to drive there and my dad is reluctant to drive me everywhere for my fish stuff. The stuff at jeffs wasn't in the best condition when i came there so i decided to just get a bucket of tropic marin. It was really cheap $50. Aquarium City sells it for $80!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffs kept their anemones on the side without any lights wutsoever over them. That's not cool.:( The big reef at the back was nice though.

David P
04/06/2003, 10:20 PM
Jeffs is real hit or miss. You never know what your going to get. Ooh, wait a minute... "Jeff's is like a box of chocolates...":p

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
04/07/2003, 07:49 PM
maybe i should take another try. I hope i dont get coconut this time:D