PDA

View Full Version : GARF

fishpoo
05/02/2000, 02:40 PM
Got A Real Fear of heat in my tank. i can't understand it. i built this hood 6" high and the length of the tank (55gal) 11 1/2" front to back. 4 vho lamps and a 3" fan moving 32cfm and the tank water climbed 3 degrees today. 79 to 82. if i would have known this i probably would go for mh. would a plexiglass lens help direct the air out the other side better? any ideas greatly appreciated. room temp is 73.

ReefDad
05/02/2000, 03:11 PM
FWIW, I run 700W of VHO over my 100G (5 x 140W)and had heat problems until I set up TWO fans, one on each end of the canopy against the wall. One pushes air in, and the other pulls air out so there's a continuous flow - works well.

I'm using some surplus DC voltage fans and run them at a subtantially lower voltage than they are rated for to make them very quiet.

Anemone of the State
05/02/2000, 06:06 PM
82 F isn't an unreasonable temperature. Having the "lens" in there actually helps heat up the water. If you have fans blowing air over the water, then the water evaporates, cooling the tank very efficiently. Too efficiently for me in fact. There will be a lot of evaporation in a dry house, which you should stay on top of.

Nice subject line.

[This message has been edited by anemone of the state (edited 05-02-2000).]

billsreef
05/03/2000, 06:19 PM
Before you get too worried about Temp. look up some of Ron Shimeks articles and posts on reef temperatures. The articles are linked in the RC library and the posts on temps should come up by using the search function on the board. When I first started reading some of Ron's stuff I felt like I was freezing out and starving my corals. Makes for some interesting reading.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784