PDA

View Full Version : new to saltwater

ms reefer
03/30/2003, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone:rollface: I have been all over the net looking for reef/saltwater clubs in columbus ohio.

I have 3 freshwater tank and been at that for years. But this is my FRIST saltwater tank. My tank is 4 months old. I have a 29 gal x 30 long, 304 fluval, red sea protein skimmer,Azoo power head,I have a Marine- glo 20w bulb ( for now). I have order 2x36 corallife aqualight pc hood 1xactinic,1x10,000k ( be here 3rd).

Inside my tank I have 25lbs live rock( will be getting about 10lbs more) clean up crew:

2 peppermint shrimps
2 fighting conch (aquacultured)
2 red leg crabs
5 blue leg crabs
1 emerald green crab
4 cerith snail
2 turbo snail
2 nassarius
2 astrea conehead

I have a blue damsel
2 false ocellaris clowns
2 blue green reef chromis
toasstool mushroom
open brain green
finger leather
bulb anemone
an 1 unknown cumber or chitn
ph 8.2
ammonea 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

I would like to know what other fish and corals that could go in my tank.

thank you ahead of time and sorry it was so long.

hummer32
03/30/2003, 08:12 PM
For a 29 gal tank, IMO you're at or beyond your bioload for fish. If you want any more I'd trade in one first (I'd trade the damsel). As for the rest of livestock...IMO take out one of the conchs if not both; they need a good amount of uncovered sand/floor, roughly 2 sq. ft. per conch, for suitable "grazing." You said your tank is four months old; I would have been hesitant to put an anemone in, especially with the below adequate lighting you currently have. Anemones, in your case E. quadricolor, need fairly moderate lighting. How long ago did you put it in? I can't imagine it's thriving under that low of lighting. The same can be said for the other corals. Do some searching in the forums, check out fishbase (http://www.fishbase.org) and wetwebmedia (http://www.wetwebmedia.com) and read up on any corals/fish that interest you, as well as your current ones. With the lighting you're going to have, I'd stick with soft corals, zooanthids, polyps...

ms reefer
03/30/2003, 10:07 PM
I have had the anemone for about month. my he's doing good. I feed him once a week. plus the clowns stays close and they keep the other fishes away. The guy at the lfs that I go to said I could have more fish then this as long as they stay small. I can't catch the damsel. **** me off something bad. LoL Do the conch get big?
Will the new lighting be good for the one's I have?

hummer32
03/30/2003, 10:40 PM
The guy at the lfs that I go to said I could have more fish then this as long as they stay small.
Like I said, it's just my opinion; that happens to be the lfs' opinion(BTW which LFS). You may be able to squeeze another small fish or two in (small goby or blenny), but what happens when the six or seven fish start to grow? If they're still in the 29 two, three, or four years from now they're larger and swimming in a more crowded tank.

I can't catch the damsel. **** me off something bad
yeah, they're a pain.

Do the conch get big?
The one I have is about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" long

Will the new lighting be good for the one's I have?
Better than your old lighting.

singerk
03/30/2003, 11:36 PM
Welcome Ms reefer

In addition to the info hummer32 has given, I would like to add that your new lighting choice is much better, but it will not be enough for the Open Brain or the quadricolor to survive long. These animals need Moderate to High lighting. Meaning you should be looking for something between 90 and 150 watts as a general rule. For corals and anemones I'd recommend a mix of White and Actinic 03 lights for them as this will allow you a broader range of corals to pick from in the future.
New to the Hobby (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=104) would be a good place to start your search and post questions.
There are also many other good Forums here to look for assistance.

Good luck
BTW what is Fluval 304 being used for? Water Flow? Because you won't need it for filtration.:)

NorthCoast
04/07/2003, 02:48 PM
Ms. Reefer,

Just wanted to say:
[welcome]

ms reefer
04/07/2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys glade to be here. I will look at new to hobby

FishyCommish
04/07/2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome ms reefer

One thing to keep in mind, be careful what advice you follow from any local fish store. I think others will agree, but many of them are better salesmen than reef keepers(Especially certain ones in the Cols. area), and don't always have the purest motives. Others are just not very experienced, and unknowingly give incorrect advice.

Don't get me wrong, there certainly are honest and quality lfs. Most people double check their advice by posting on RC, or just finding a thread that covers the subject already.

By the way, which lfs are you referring to?

ms reefer
04/07/2003, 11:10 PM
I would say a mommy and pop store. He has help me a lot has at one point in time offered to come to my house and help me with tank.