PDA

View Full Version : Ricordea Yuma....how do they multiply?

JimD
03/29/2003, 09:06 PM
Hello All,

I have several Florida ricordea color morphs and only a few Yuma pieces. My question is.....how do the Yumas multiply in nature? Of all the Yumas polyps I have....none of them have more than 1 mouth. Do the Yumas ever get multiple mouths?....and multiply in the same manner as the floridas?....or do they multiply in some other manner.

Any information would be appreciated!

Jim

Bryan Thompson
03/29/2003, 11:33 PM
Sorry Jim but I am not a yuma pro but the green yuma I have move on the rock and leave baby ones behind. I hope this helps. I never take a blade to a ricordia to get it to spread. Provide them light and good water quality and let them do it on thier own.

Bryan

dc
03/30/2003, 09:51 AM
And I have small ones just show up away from the main ones. I've never seen mine split.

TIGER SHARK
04/01/2003, 01:47 PM
I have 1 yuma and a couple florida ricordia. I have cut them all the same way as fragging a mushroom. Now the yuma is 2 new ones and a third is growing on the original rock it was cut from.

Leviathan
04/01/2003, 06:05 PM
FWIW-

I have blue yumas, and three of them are splitting at the moment.
In fact one has just formed a third mouth.

Leviathan
04/01/2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dc
And I have small ones just show up away from the main ones. I've never seen mine split.

I have this as well on this blue yuma colony, there are 2 small ones growing a few inches from the cluster. hmmmm

minh_han
04/01/2003, 06:23 PM
So where would I get some of these blue yuma? i don't have any ricordia in my tank yet, but I think navymedic and luminary are sending me a few. Or is it blue mushrooms? Well, whatever they are, I'm sure I'm going to like them. How big do yuma get?

Leviathan
04/02/2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by minh_han
So where would I get some of these blue yuma? i don't have any ricordia in my tank yet, but I think navymedic and luminary are sending me a few. Or is it blue mushrooms? Well, whatever they are, I'm sure I'm going to like them. How big do yuma get?

I got mine from an LFS. They didnt realize what they were and only charged me for the piece of LR they were on. I have seen them for sale off and on with different color morphs at different sites over the years. Off hand Im not sure who has any at the moment, hopefully someone will chime in with a site for you to check out.

My yumas are about half dollar size when fully inflated.

Palmetto
04/05/2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
FWIW-

I have blue yumas, and three of them are splitting at the moment.
In fact one has just formed a third mouth.

These would be Ricordea Florida.

IME, Ricordea Yumas do not develop more than one mouth- they reproduce naturally by pedal laceration (shifting to the side and leaving a trail of babies).

I have also never seen a blue Yuma.

I have found it very easy to propagate both Ricordea Florida and Ricordea Yuma with the razor blade. Just like many other easily fragged corals, they grow into large multiple pieces MUCH more quickly when fragged properly.

I do not cut them into little pieces. Ricordea Florida can easily be sliced right between the multiple mouths, and will form two brand new looking disks as big as the mother in very little time.

I just cut the yumas off the stem, leaving as much stem as I can. (It grows into a new shroom!) Then, I cut the cap in half and put it into a small tupperware dish that I keep where my skimmer returns into the sump. This provides an oxygen-rich flow area that helps prevent slimeout. I have not had any casualties in a long time in doing this.

:)

Leviathan
04/05/2003, 07:27 AM
IME, Ricordea Yumas do not develop more than one mouth- they reproduce naturally by pedal laceration (shifting to the side and leaving a trail of babies).

Thanks Palmetto,

I guess this is the new thing for me to learn today, as the old saying goes:)

Palmetto
04/05/2003, 07:38 AM
:D