PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Ricordia

Bryan Thompson
03/29/2003, 03:26 AM
How is it that these guys on ebay can post photos of Florida Ricordia on large rocks and not get into trouble? They even boast at the fact they have not glued the ricorda to the rock! It is illegal to collect Florida Ricorda with rock attached. I get mine from a diver that has the proper permits and it comes in loose. This just gets me fired up when I see this stuff out there. I’ll bet these guys don not even have the permits to collect it.

Bryan

chet-tonja
03/29/2003, 03:47 AM
There's probably a rare few that just waited a long time and the ricordia filled the rock out. If the seller is from Florida though, then more than likely it is illegally taken pieces. To be honest, I'm surprised more people don't get in trouble for running businesses off selling crap on Ebay. Wonder if those "Power Sellers" pay taxes on their items?

dc
03/30/2003, 09:53 AM
Possibly they have fragged and attache them theirselves.

billsreef
03/31/2003, 10:29 PM
could also be Haitian ricordea being sold as Florida ricordea :eek1:

minh_han
03/31/2003, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry, but being new, I don't know what the special thing is with Florida ricordia, and I don't know the differences in the yuma variety either. Any clarification for me?

billsreef
03/31/2003, 11:39 PM
Ricordea yuma is from the Pacific. Ricordea floridia is from the Tropical West Atlantic. Ricordea floridea coming from the Florida Keys if considered better than the ones coming from Haiti. In Florida, Ricordea is not allowed to be collected on rock and therefore is collected as individual polyps removed from the substrate. This has a lot to do with the price of it. In Haiti it can be collected on the rock and is the main source of "Ricordea on Rock" seen in the trade.

Palmetto
04/04/2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Bryan Thompson
How is it that these guys on ebay can post photos of Florida Ricordia on large rocks and not get into trouble? It is illegal to collect Florida Ricorda with rock attached. Bryan

It is illegal to collect Live Rock in Florida. As billsreef mentioned, there are other places to collect Ricordea Florida than just in Florida.

Ricordea Florida is their scientific name, this does not mean they were collected in Florida.

I like my big rocks.

:)

Bryan Thompson
04/05/2003, 11:06 AM
Darren,

Yeah figured that one out after a little research. I found someone who can get them for me. They look great also.

Bryan

Azurel
04/20/2003, 07:29 AM
I talked to one shop owner when I was down there in the orlando area and he said that they or the wholesalers put them on the rocks partly why they cost so much all the time invested with them waiting to get on the rocks...I don't think there is any dealer out there gonna risk getting in to it with the feds...