PDA

View Full Version : Southdown Sand

benihana
03/28/2003, 08:39 PM
does anyone know where to get some southdown in the minnesota area?? I checked my local Home depot and they said that there is none in the area stores. anyone know where to get some??

Thanks
Benihana

:strooper:

fahz
04/01/2003, 11:42 PM
Benihana:

If you find any Southdown let me know as I would be interested in 3 or 4 bags myself. If not maybe we could put together a group buy from this place. http://www.purearagonite.com/

From what I have seen on the BB its about the same price as Southdown once you add in the shipping. ( $20+ per 40# bag including shipping) That is unless you find some Southdown around here. Premium Aquatics in Indianapolis, IN is a stocking dealer and it may cut the shipping charges to get it to Minnesota.

Fahz

Russel
04/14/2003, 07:59 AM
Try the following locale. Brooklyn Park HD @(763) 533-1200. I ran across this in some thread a week or two ago.

fahz
04/14/2003, 03:36 PM
Russel:
Thanks for the response but to late. They had thirty or forty bags but someone jumped on them and bought the lot.

Fahz:mad:

benihana
04/14/2003, 05:35 PM
I think that I am just going to use high quality silica sand....from the research that I have done...it seems a lot of people have this in their tanks, and it works well also

Benihana

fahz
04/14/2003, 07:33 PM
Benihana:

I found a guy in LaCrosse Wisconsin who had 20 bags of Southdown but he wanted $16.50 a bag and I had to pick it up.
I ordered 5 bags from purearagonite for $106.50 delivered to my door. People forget the big deal about Southdown is its price @ under $5 a bag.

Fahz

FastFish720
05/03/2003, 02:45 PM
Personally I don't think southdown is the best way to go. I say it is better to use real live sand. If mother nature wanted us to be using Southdown she would have made the sand bed southdown.

fahz
05/08/2003, 10:32 PM
Fastfish:

When your setting up a big tank and need lots of sand Its hard to beat the price of Southdown at $5 for 50 #'s. That to me is the biggest draw. If price is no object of course live ocean sand is the best.

Fahz

lilswanwillow
05/14/2003, 03:10 PM
its not the same, but Walmart has very, very fine playsand... its brown, since its just normal sand... but its 2 bucks for a 50lb bag...
its REALLY fine, and if you don't mind a tan look, its pretty nice...
mines been in the tank a couple days, and its not too bad

fahz
05/14/2003, 03:39 PM
I went with pure caribbean aragonite instead from http://www.purearagonite.com/ it very clean and fine sand.
by the way if anyone local is interested I have two 40# boxes left over and will sell then for what I paid.

Fahz

needmorefish
05/14/2003, 04:12 PM
If looking for alternatives, I was at Toys R Us yesterday and they had white, sugar sized play sand. I do not know the composition, but it could be an alternative.

needmorefish
05/14/2003, 04:14 PM
Otherwise I am in Minnesota and would be interested in about 600lbs of Southdown. In the process of ordering a 230g from IA.

ratziel
05/14/2003, 04:57 PM
Personally I don't think southdown is the best way to go. I say it is better to use real live sand. If mother nature wanted us to be using Southdown she would have made the sand bed southdown.

Hey fastfish720 Southdown is harvested from from ancient seabeds so it's pretty much a mother nature thang.I am not condoning it's use as I personaly have no experience with it.

tyler
05/15/2003, 12:51 PM
picture?

Originally posted by lilswanwillow
its not the same, but Walmart has very, very fine playsand... its brown, since its just normal sand... but its 2 bucks for a 50lb bag...
its REALLY fine, and if you don't mind a tan look, its pretty nice...
mines been in the tank a couple days, and its not too bad

lilswanwillow
05/15/2003, 04:09 PM
don't have one, it's just like the sand you see on a beach up here in MN though...
just imagine, tan sand instead of white...
its not bad to look at, once you get used to it
(btw, I also have black sand in my nano, so white just isn't a normal color for me...)