PDA

View Full Version : Brown Ribbon Type material being expelled

buggle
03/27/2003, 08:24 PM
One of my colonies is expelling this stuff from it's mouth. Are they releasing the zooanthella? If so, why? What else could it be? They are all open and are usually open throughout the day. All my other corals/zoanthids are fine. Help please.

Thanks.

Buggle

hesaias
03/27/2003, 09:01 PM
Has it fed lately? Could be dookie :D My anemones do this a few days after eating.

buggle
03/27/2003, 09:49 PM
unless it's catching some frozen mysis, I don't feed it anything. Any other ideas?

Buggle

Nagel
03/28/2003, 12:19 AM
sometimes they will expel their zooxanthellae (sp?) as a result of stress, changes in lighting or for no apparrant reason at times. If its stress of lighting, adjust as necessary, if it's out of the blue for no apparrant reason, relax, sit ack and keep an eye on 'em....

buggle
03/28/2003, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the help. So do you think they are indeed expelling their zooanthellae? I don't THINK they're under any kind of stress. I'll keep an eye out. They are fairly new, got them about two weeks ago.

Buggle

musicsmaker
03/28/2003, 09:23 AM
What is your lighting like in comparison to the lighting they were under in their previos home? If it was a major increase in intensity, then I would assume it was zooxanthella. There are other factors to be taken into consideration though. A rundown of your tank specs would be helpful.

buggle
03/28/2003, 12:03 PM
I'm not too sure what the original was like, I mailed ordered them. They didn't start doing this until about a week after I got them. Tank conditions.

ph: 8.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
sp. gr: 1.026 (slowly lowering that)
Alk: 4.96
Ca: 390
Phosphates: 0

Nagel
03/28/2003, 06:11 PM
what's your lighting setup like?

buggle
03/28/2003, 06:23 PM
I've got two VHOs (1 actinic 03 and 1 daylight) and 1 250 MH.

Nagel
03/29/2003, 09:28 AM
Ok, it could be light stress then. Its quite possible they came from under just VHO's and moving them under a 250w MH may cause them to expel some zooxanthellae. I would put them as near the bottom as possible, and slowly move them up over a period of weeks until they are where you want them to be...

HTH

|ReEFnEwB1E|
03/31/2003, 06:33 PM
They should be fine buggle. I had a colony do that 2 weeks ago??!? I haven't seen any ill effects. Only a few of the polyps were doing it though so I figured it was nothing. Now they are opened up even larger then before! :D

buggle
03/31/2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys.... Hopefully they will be fine. My corals have been acting kind of strange lately. The zoanthids spitting up and some of my mushrooms are all shriveled up, plus my xenia is no longer growing and pulsating like mad (like they used to). That on top of three turbos dying and a sally light foot! My nitrates went up to 15-20 from 5 so I'm wondering if that was what did it. I've been doing 7 gallon water changes for the past three days to bring it down. Everything else is perfect! Hopefully everything will get under control before my pink, green/orange zoanthids get here!!!!

Bugggle

SaveOurReefs
04/02/2003, 06:26 PM
I had the SAME problem still havent fixed it... not too many mushrooms living any more and I sold my xenia but all my sps looks fine . it happened after I changed my power heads and put them on a wave maker (three MJ1200s on a redsea).

well if any one could give me a real reason other than that,it would be helpful

-thanks

onegreenray
04/03/2003, 04:22 PM
hi,

i had a couple of my green zoos do that. brown looking stringy stuff. it happened about two or three days after i feed them. that was weeks ago, i dont think you have anything to worry about. sounds normal.