PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone hail from?

minh_han
03/27/2003, 02:10 PM
I thought it would be good if we all knew where we were from. Maybe if one of us is in the area, we can know to look up a fellow reefer. For example, I'm going to be in New Haven this weekend, and I know Bruce and Ken live there, but are there others?

Mike and I (obviously) live in Manchester, right on the Vernon border. That's a bit west of Hartford on 384 for those who don't know.

Cap'n Crunch
03/27/2003, 02:25 PM
East Hampton.

Right near Rte. 2, close to both Glastonbury and Marlborough borders.

Dazed1
03/27/2003, 02:28 PM
Waterbury. About 10 min's from JP's place ;)

jdmarano
03/28/2003, 09:04 AM
South Windsor, couple miles off I-84 near the borders of Vernon and Manchester.

LeslieP
03/28/2003, 09:57 AM
New London - very close to Ocean Beach - the BIG fish tank in the area :rollface:

Ryan22
03/28/2003, 10:51 AM
From the sound of things I'm about half way between Minh and jdmarano.

Manchester

joe123987
03/28/2003, 03:55 PM
Moodus (East Haddam)

dburr
03/28/2003, 07:39 PM
Haddam. 5 miles from Paragon.

CT Clownfish
03/29/2003, 05:33 PM
Liz and I live in Amston which is part of Hebron. Bob

ez1ez
03/31/2003, 09:54 PM
:bum: I live in west haven on the sound. I am always up to trading or getting together with fellow reefers.

minh_han
03/31/2003, 10:00 PM
Well, ez1ez, you're just going to have to come to the next meeting! Mike and I go down to New Haven every now and then-- we were just there this past weekend-- so we're not too far from you. ANd Bruce and Ken live within 15 min of you too.

ez1ez
04/02/2003, 06:02 PM
:cool: Im there. Just tell me where and when. My name is Sam. I look forward to meeting fellow reefers and learning new things. I'm also willing to travel far for a good LFS.

warren thomas
04/04/2003, 09:31 AM
hi everyone im in thomaston next to waterbury

Cap'n Crunch
04/04/2003, 10:14 AM
Welcome Aboard, Warren!

pncstod
04/04/2003, 09:39 PM
I live in North Branford. I havent been to a meeting yet but do plan to attend in the future..

reiple
04/04/2003, 10:13 PM
from quezon city (where?!?!?). a land locked city in the Philippines (where's that?). It's not like Hawaii which has reefs or australia which has big reefs. It's a country surrounded by reefs (reefs reefs everywhere.....)

RalphP
04/05/2003, 08:25 AM
Hi
Just curious does anyone know of or remember a reef shop in a guys basement in Bethleham Conn?In the mid 80s I had taken a few 3 hour trips to get critters from him.He had 2 or 3 tanks upstairs that where all hooked up to a central fuge.Pretty advanced in the mid 80s.In his shop ,basement he had several tanks big salt mixing tank and a tortise.Thanks

Bailey2
04/05/2003, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I live in Middletown. My favorite LFS are Paragon in Haddam & Aquarium Conservation in Cromwell.

ladymagicka
04/07/2003, 10:10 AM
:confused: :rollface: Moved to West Haven, from East Hartford, setting up 1st reef tank as I write. ez1ez(sam) is helping me.

Cap'n Crunch
04/07/2003, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Judging by your occupation, you'll be the most popular person around here. :thumbsup:

minh_han
04/07/2003, 05:45 PM
Great to have you LadyMagicka! Mike is studying to be a massage therapist and should be done by December. I'm sure he'd love to talk to you! Looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

ladymagicka
04/07/2003, 06:36 PM
Hi, I went snorkeling for the first time a few weeks ago in Puerto Rico , it was the most incredible thing i've ever seen in my life. I'm ready for Scuba lessons now, liking your occupation too Cap't. I came home called ez1ez, I want Fish!!! He's taken me to all the fish stores in NY, CT, RI and i think MA he does know them well. I look forward to meeting you at the meetings, i'll watch for the time and place. Happy to talk to Mike if he has any questions...
Ciao for now.

Nek
04/07/2003, 07:35 PM
LM....Im right down the street in Derby.......

Minh----Did the Nepthea make it??? Mine is budding from where I cut it......

ladymagicka
04/07/2003, 08:00 PM
Nek, ya know.. i bet smurfs turn purple...hmmm.. red and blue.. yep purple:smokin:

Nek
04/07/2003, 08:03 PM
:) ;) :)

minh_han
04/07/2003, 08:41 PM
Ken, the Nephthea is doing ok. It's not growing from what I can tell, but it's at least opened up and spreading its polyps. The two candy cane heads are also looking quite nice. I never glued them anywhere, just shoved them into a hole in the rock. I figure the end part is dead anyways, and it'll hopefully grow outwards. One of the heads has two mouths. Does that mean that it'll split and become a branch? Your two mushrooms on the snail shell look good; can't wait until they split and I have frags to trade. There's a big frag trading going on RC, but I don't really have frags to trade yet. Maybe next year. I did get a little bunch of xenia that I would like to split and trade with Jason (whom I have not yet met) for a frag of something.

Folks, I have to say that it's great to see so many people on here from all over CT. When I moved to CT in July 2001, I didn't know anyone and really had no social life. It's been a pleasure meeting so many cool people the past few months. I don't think I've met a single person I didn't get along with. Maybe we'll have to have a mini get together btw now and May 31. For those of you who saw the tank in March, it looks tons better after I bought snails that decimated the hair algae. Now, I have some, but not nearly like before. Unfortunately, a number of them have fallen, landed on their backs, and starved to death, but I guess that's the nature of things. I think next time, I'll stick with the tiger trochus which can right itself when it lands askew. And are there any remarks on the tiger brittle star (I think that's what it's called)? The DSB is only two months old, and I'm afraid adding anything that would eat DBS critters will not be good. Plus, I'd like to get a mandarin at some point and want to make sure it has plenty to eat.

Actually, Mike and I are thinking about starting to get some fish, and we need some advice. We want a peaceful, reef safe community. These are possibilities: blue or green chromis (three ?), mandarin goby, regal tang, royal gramma or pseudochromis, ? pygmy angel, ? splendid pseudochromis. For some of these, we've only seen pics of them on the web and don't know a whole lot about them. Also, there are other fish that are possibilities-- clowns and damsels for example-- but we want to add the territorial fish last. We want to keep inverts and a mixture of corals, so parrots and triggers are not for us. I realize angels can be a problem too. Argh, it's just so complicated!

One thing that would be cool on our CTARS website is a CT map where people's locations are on it, and you can click on an area or a flag or something and see who lives where.

ez1ez
04/07/2003, 10:06 PM
hmmmmm...sounds to me like you will be setting up another tank for the non reef fish

minh_han
04/07/2003, 10:52 PM
Boy, sounds good, but my pocket book and my floors just wont take the extra pressure!

Nek
04/08/2003, 06:55 AM
Minh-- When I received the Nep. frag years ago, it took forever to show signs of growth, but once it started, it never looked back.

amcarrig
04/18/2003, 09:00 AM
Wethersfield is where I call home and it's great to know that we have a few more SCUBA divers in our club! Can't wait for the summer!!! You in JP?

kriskat
04/26/2003, 03:29 PM
Im Kris, moved to Bristol from Louisville, KY about a year ago (and moved a 55 gal FOWLR losing only a serpent star). My SO is in graduate school at CCSU. I (ofcourse) dig all types of marine life, love SCUBA diving (big trip planed in May), and am so looking forward to more warm days so I can get our dogs (weimaraner and yellow lab) out to the park. I have yet to attend any meetings but am planning on making some upcoming. Actually I just found the group a few days ago! Looking forward to meeting some other salt crazed people.

dmarie120
04/27/2003, 04:48 AM
I'm in South Windsor. I'd love to get together with other of the same interest or to take a road trip to some LFS that aren't close to my area.

minh_han
04/27/2003, 12:25 PM
Dawn, I was JUST in S Windsor visiting Jason (jdmarano), his wife, and his tanks. He has a really neat octagon seahorse tank that he's set up.

I'm finding more and more people right around the Hartford area. We should all do something some time. Who knows, maybe even a minimeeting and trade some frags. Or maybe just go out to eat. I still want to take some more people to have VN food. Also, tell us about your time in the hobby and your tank(s).

dmarie120
04/28/2003, 04:45 AM
I'm ALWAYS up for going out to eat!!!

Right now I've got four tanks running. My main tank is an 85 gallon show tank. What a pain to clean!

I've also got a 10 gallon marine running with a few mollies that were born here and I'm waiting for them to breed. I have two moreys in the main tank and that's what they like for food.

I've also got a 55 and a 20 freshwater.

Keep in touch.

minh_han
04/28/2003, 08:13 AM
Just in the Manchester/South Windsor area, we have myself and Mike, Ryan, Jason, and Dawn. Actually, there's Tom too, but he doesn't frequent RC. What if we went out to eat and then visited one another's places to see the tanks? We could do some trading or whatever too. Or instead of eating out, we could do a progressive dinner: salad in one house, main course in another, dessert at a third. Just some thoughts. We have such a great concentration of people that I think we should tap into this resource.

What I also envision is a network to help one another out if something comes up. For example, if one of us plans to go on vacation (like I will in the middle of July for a week), one or two of us can swing by and check up on the tank, feed the fish, etc. I know it would give me peace of mind knowing someone's checking up on things every now and then. We all know how quickly disaster can set in. Just the other day, I went downstairs and found the water level at the brim of the tank. Apparently one of the larger snails had crawled down into the overflow tube, died, and clogged up the tube. Just imagine getting home from vacation and finding your sump completely dry, the pump fried, and the water temperature at 95.

wetone
04/28/2003, 12:08 PM
I live in Cheshire. I have a 75G with a mix of SPS and softies. I'm trying to make the meeting in May here in Cheshire, of course with 3 kids playing lacrosse, baseball, hockey and soccer...weekend day "free time" is non existent....

Tony

engagg
04/28/2003, 01:36 PM
I live in Union, just 9/10ths of a mile from the Mass. line.

Currently I have a 55, 29 & 37 african cichlid tanks, 20long and 10 gallon fry tanks also cichlids, and my 33long reef. The 33 is my favorite and I can't believe I waited so long to start a saltwater tank.

Greg

Ryan22
04/28/2003, 07:28 PM
Wetone,
Your kids are playing lacrosse? How old? Great sport, I played in High School and college in CT. It really seems to be growing lately. I still play on the weekends and in summer leagues.

wetone
04/30/2003, 09:47 AM
Ryan22

My oldest (11) plays in the junior division (grades 5&6). Its his 4th year. A great sport, I coach his team. I never played the sport, but use my hockey play/coach background to my advantage. Cheshire has a real nice program, the enrollment has doubled in size almost every year, we have A,B and C travel teams at all levels.
My other son (8) played for 1 year, he is a goalie in hockey and found lacrosse to be too much running !!! He's back to baseball (or as my wife calls it.."watching paint dry")

coraltime
04/30/2003, 11:33 AM
Ledyard here right next to Groton

Ryan22
04/30/2003, 12:09 PM
Wetone,
Ya Chesire has always been one of the towns in this state that have had a good solid program. I played high school in Somers, and still play in a summer league there. I played at Eastern Connecticut in college. I wish I had the time to caoch a team, I've been offered a few positions as an assistant coach over the past few years but I've had to turn all of them down because of my work schedule. It's too bad, I would really enjoy doing it. If you ever want any advise or just want to run over some stuff feel free to e-mail me. It might be helpfull just to have someone to suggest or explain different drills that you aren't familiar with. Who knows there are probably tons of people right in town that are willing to help out, but I figured I'd offer anyway.

Smitty 750
05/23/2003, 10:48 PM
I just baught a new house in Seymour CT, you know what that means BIGGER tank. Looking to set up at leasta 210 gallon.

billwinterholer
05/24/2003, 10:31 PM
Hmm, can't believe I've been cruising this site for a month and haven't seen or replied to this thread...

I live in Groton but travel quite a bit of the state for my job as a Service Rep for Trans-Lux (cover from Rhode Island to the Hudson River with most of my time in Fairfield county).

I currently have a 75 gal I started the beginning of April. It has a 4" sand bed and about 10 pounds of live rock and 8 pounds dead rock, some snails and two blue damsels I've had about three years. It's currently lit by 6 standard flours, but I hope to go to a MH system eventually. Also hope to begin adding more live rock on a weekly basis.

I have a 55 gal fuge that I started two weeks ago. It was originally my FO tank that the damsels lived in, but the center brace cracked and the front was bowing from the weight of the water. I replaced it with the 75 gal, but got a rebuild kit to fix the brace. It has a 5" - 6" sand bed and a handful of grape caulerpa in it.

I eventually want to also convert a FW 39 gal into a seahorse and jawfish tank (want to have a deep sand base for the jawfish). This is mostly for the benefit of my wife and my tuxedo cat (who is entranced by the jawfish for some reason).

I also have a 5' x 10' x 20" tank in the front yard called a garden pond with six goldfish I've had for about 6-7 years, which was what got me started in fish raising to begin with.

Bill

nakama
05/25/2003, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,
My name is Neil and I live in Weston. Over the years I've had community tanks, Discus, African Chlicids, Salt water tanks, and finally now for the past 9 months a 120 gal reef tank. It's coming along nicely. Of course my wife thinks I'm way over the top with this! I'm really enjoying this OBSESSION right now.
I plan to be at the meeting next week and look foward to meeting a lot of reefers.
P S Just added a real nice Solitaryensis, my first really special sps coral.:rollface: :rollface:
Regards, Nakama

ThingsReef
05/26/2003, 05:08 PM
Hmm, can't believe I've been cruising this site for a month and haven't seen or replied to this thread...

We must be lost in the twilight zone of Groton...I haven't seen this either and I try to keep up...

Groton CT