PDA

View Full Version : Huge sale in Illinois!!!

michealprater
03/26/2003, 11:53 AM
Slice of Nature Pets- 422 West Gallatin in historic downtown Vandalia IL.
Sunday, April 6th, 1 PM to 5 PM.
Everything in the store is 10% off!! Huge aquarium truckload sale!!!
This sale includes all fresh and saltwater fish, reptiles, aquariums, supplies, aquarium plants, corals, live rock, pond plants and fish, and feeder mice and fish!!!!
Absolutly everything in the store is on sale!!!
For more information or driving directions call Dean @ 618-283-4090
Tell him you heard about it on this website!! :D

Josh125
03/26/2003, 04:19 PM
How far is that from STL?

michealprater
03/26/2003, 04:22 PM
about a hour from the bridge I70

dela
03/27/2003, 12:38 PM
Someone else is having a sale this weekend. Some pet store on watson. I was thinking of going.

michealprater
03/27/2003, 02:38 PM
This thread is about a sale at Slice of Nature pets in Vandalia on April 6th. See first post for more information.

Markk96
03/27/2003, 02:43 PM
Do you know what that store is on Watson?

michealprater
03/27/2003, 02:57 PM
I dont want to sound like a butt here, but could you guys start a thread about the other store? I would like to keep the thread I stared about the subject I started. Just asking for some common curtisy. Thanks.

TooFar2Sea
03/27/2003, 03:38 PM
The LFS on Watson is Pet Marketplace (watson & laclede station road). Everything in the store is on sale tomorrow only.
As for common courtesy...this thread is about sales this weekend at LFS, therefore, this info about Pet Marketplace is on topic. If you want space dedicated to Slice of Nature Pets perhaps they should buy an ad and become a sponsor.

dela
03/27/2003, 03:46 PM
This thread is about a sale at Slice of Nature pets in Vandalia on April 6th. See first post for more information.

:lol:

You only have 35 posts. You are forgiven! This board is here for people to share knowledge. Not for free advertising. I thought we were sharing the LFS sale knowledge. If you are with an LFS, talk to the mods about becoming a sponsor.

TooFar2Sea, I just drove by it after playing some golf at Tower Tee. It looks like a big place. ;)

michealprater
03/27/2003, 05:19 PM
I see your point. Im sorry. Carry on with the LFS sales discussion.

PS I do not work for Slice of Nature. Just passing along a good sale at a good lfs. Thought you guys would like it.

I am not new to boards. I am a moderator on another board with over 1200 posts.

TooFar2Sea
03/27/2003, 06:33 PM
michealprater - your info about the sale is welcome (at least to me). I wish there was more feedback, both positive and negative, about the LFS in this forum. It was your attempt to limit the discussion to one store that I took exception with. Tell us all about Slice of Nature, especially any great deals you might have gotten there.
dela - Pet Marketplace is huge. I have not been there recently but the last time I was there most of the floorspace was dedicated to freshwater and there was a smaller saltwater area in the back. In calling around I also learned that Tropical World Pets, also on Watson, now has saltwater fish and inverts for sale. They will be adding coral soon.

michealprater
03/27/2003, 06:57 PM
Slice of Nature is a small fish, rodent and reptile store. It has a small public aquarium in the lower level that you can view for 1 dollar. It has so much stuff I cant list it all. example, huge shark tank and a gigantic volitan lion.
The owner Dean, is very knowlegable and very helpful. They have quality livestock fresh and saltwater fishes and they have corals.

So hey, check out the watson store this weekend and then slice of nature next weekend. If you think it is too far to drive thats ok. I just wanted to pass along this sale. Keep in mind, I have not seen prices as low as his in this area. I went to Beldts and people said there prices were average, but to me they seemed very high compared to Deans. I have gotten so many deals I cant list them all. I would say my best deal was a flame and a flameback angel. He sold me the pair for 100 bucks. Not bad by LFS standards.

Markk96
03/27/2003, 07:04 PM
Just for you guys to know, I have been in Tropical Pet World on watson in the last week. They have a small area setup and not much in it yet.

Nanook
03/27/2003, 11:00 PM
I stopped by Pet Market Place this evening...they have a huge selection of tanks, Oceanic, Perfecto, Nature's somethingorother and All Glass. They are really stocked with dry goods and FW fish, that is their specialty....and tanks.

Their SW selection is pretty weak though. They have about a dozen LPS colonies, that is it for corals. Their fish selection is very, very small....excluding the tank of damsels, I would say I counted no more than 15-20 fish total.

I talked with the manager for a while and he said that EVERYTHING in the store would be on sale for 5-50% off their regular price. If you are in the market for an aquarium, their prices are usually hard to beat.

And to michealprater, I appreciate your news of a sale too, however your strong approach in selling us on this store is rather suspect. I have seen you post about this store in several locations and have received SPAM from you promoting this store. Like the others here have said, advertising for a particular business would be better taken up with the moderators. It is our sponsor's money that keeps RC running.

BTW, the sale at Pet Market Place is Friday only...it is their ANNUAL sale....happy shopping.

Nanook

michealprater
03/27/2003, 11:26 PM
Ok let me get this straight. I dont have very many posts so I dont know anything. I guess my posts say how much I know about the hobby and how long I have been in it. I guess it doesnt matter that I have 5 successful tanks, because I only have 30 some posts.

I never SPAMMED anyone, and to say I did that is ridiculous. All I have did was simply inform some people that are fairly close to me of a sale that might save them some money. If that is wrong , I am truely sorry. It is really unfortunate to get this kind of responce from a club that I was going to inquire about joining. But if this is the way I will get treated I would rather just stick to the hobby with other people. I am sorry if I sound harsh, but if you look at your posts again you may begin to see the way it came off. I dont like to argue on boards, and definatly do not approve of flaming anyone. If I misconstrued what you guys said, I am sorry. I will not post in you club forum anymore.

So there is no confusion, here is a explination for each of my posts, as you can see there was no spamming involved.

Post 1- I told members of this board about a sale in IL that I thought they would be interested in.

Post 2 & 3- I came off as kind of harsh because I felt my thread had been hijacked considering the subject of the thread was "Huge sale in Illinois" and last time I checked there was no Watson in IL. However this is a STL club. I see that now.

Post 4- My appology for post 2&3

Post 5- toofar2sea asked a little about the store so I told him. Obviously me answering the question came off as strongly pushing Slice of Nature.

Sorry:rolleyes:

Nanook
03/27/2003, 11:42 PM
Hey Michealprater,

Relax, take a deep breath.

I did receive a private message from you advertising this business, that is SPAM in my book.

That aside, your tone in this thread became very defensive quite soon after someone mentioned another store in the area. This suggested to others and myself that you had some special interest in this business. It is natural for us to wonder what your affiliation is with this store. It is also a St Louis forum where information about any store can be shared.

The fact that you only have 30 something posts doesn't mean that you are a novice in my book at all. I think there are a lot of experienced SW enthusiasts with very few posts on RC...post counts are just signs of how active someone is on this board and are generally good indicators that someone has spent a lot of time on a very knowledgable board.

5 tanks!!!! You must stay pretty busy. Give SEASL a visit someday and tell us about them, maybe we can get a tour of your place?

Nanook:)

TooFar2Sea
03/27/2003, 11:48 PM
The views and opinions expressed in this forum are the views and opinions of those individuals only. These opinions have nothing to do with the SEASL organization.

michealprater
04/08/2003, 11:37 PM
Dean told me someone from alton stopped in . who was it. he said they got a blue linkia star.