PDA

View Full Version : I need someone to look at fish fins!!!

prowlr1
03/26/2003, 09:58 AM
i did a bit of cleanup and water change about 20% yesterday
and i noticed the fins on this surgeon fish looked frayed.
He seems to not want to swim now.

The salinity was a bit high before the water change. Now at normal parameters.
Temp 78-80
PH 7.7 slowly raising ph
kh 7
no2 0.3
noh 0
only additives part a-b and reef complete

hcs3
03/26/2003, 12:21 PM
looks like a secondary bacterial infection to me, known as fin rot. any number of bacteria can cause this, most likely pseudomonas, aeromonas, or edwardsiella.

if it continues to get worse, you will need to treat. keep a close eye on it, as it can progress quickly throughout the day. fin rot can take fish within days, but might be irreverable if left to gain a strong foothold.

have you noticed any parasitic infections? bacterial are usually secondary infections that overcome a fish when weakened by another sickness, usually parasitic.

first, you would need to treat the parasitic. at the same time, you will need to treat the bacterial infection.

you will need to treat in a q-tank. i'm not sure if/what the parasitic problem is, so i cannot comment on it. however, you should acquire a brood-spectrum anti-bacterial medicine and start the treatment asap.

HTH

henry

prowlr1
03/26/2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks Henry i have already purchased Maracyn II and the Melafyx. I went to Petco, Fish man dosent open until 12:30 around here. i added the melafx and it seems to relieve the fish

i have the q tank prepping and will treat with the maracyn if need be. appreciate your quick response.;)