PDA

View Full Version : Star Polyps not opening

nleong
03/26/2003, 07:53 AM
hi,

my first post in RC. I have got 2 Star polyps in my tank. One of them is a new addition and its not opening. Its been almost one week already.

contrary, the other polyps is opening and growing well.

what could be the problem ? How long will the new addition get use to my water ? :(

thanks

musicsmaker
03/26/2003, 09:59 AM
If you are talking about GSP, it has been my experiance that they will close for several days when exposed to a stressor. In my experiance it was a fish net brushing roughly up against them. They stayed closed for about a week, and are now back to their pesky spreading. Funny, I was kind of hoping that they would not open back up. :rolleyes: Those things are next to impossible to kill. The rock they cover is about to hit eBay.

musicsmaker
03/26/2003, 10:00 AM
By the way...

http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

to Reef Central.

nleong
03/26/2003, 07:49 PM
Hi musicmaker,

thanks for the welcome :)

The only thing i have in the tank is a cleaner skunk and a hermit crab that like to climb ontop it clean out the detritus ..... last i checked, its still closed :(

musicsmaker
03/26/2003, 07:58 PM
What about your lighting? It could be that, or they could just be irritated by things crawling on them. Does it seem like they are always being harassed? Another question: Are they the same kind of star polyps as the ones that are staying open?

nleong
03/26/2003, 08:26 PM
hi,

as my tank is a 2footer, so i dun think the lighting is a problem. I did try moving it around. From the bottom of the sand bed to the top of the rock. Still the same.

And yes, its the same type, except this new one got some green color and looks like the flower type star polyp. The one that stayed open is the brown type.

I did see it open back at the LFS, but when back home, its close since i put them in. I hope its not dead.

Maybe i shld just leave it for another week and see what happened. Nothing much i can do i guess.

Worst, bring it back to the LFS for exchange.

Thanks!! ;)

Ty_05_F
03/27/2003, 06:14 PM
Mine took 2 days and they were fully open in my tank when they were introduced.

Ty_05_F
03/27/2003, 06:19 PM
Mine took 2 days and they were fully open in my tank when they were introduced.