PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer Group buy

Dazed1
03/25/2003, 05:56 PM
I was going through the Boston Reefer's Society when I cam upon this (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157076) thread. Its a group buy for a refractometer. I'm not sure as to how many of us here are using a refractometer currently or using the swivel arm. The reason this sounds interesting is, I had taken a water sample to Paragon for calcium and phosphate tests when they tested my water Salinity by a refractometer and it read at about 1.027 as compared to the 1.025 that the swivel arm read.

Any one would be interested ? Maybe we could still speak to the BRS people and see if we can pool in the order. I drive to Waltham near Boston every other weekend and I can pick it up from them if it goes through.

Thought's ?

minh_han
03/25/2003, 08:50 PM
I know of at least three of us that use refractometers: Ryan, Mickey, and me. I'm not sure about everyone else. I think it would be a good idea. As long as whoever orders it has a large credit limit on their card, and everyone promises to pay up soon!

joe123987
03/25/2003, 11:26 PM
I also already use a refractometer - highly recommend it for those that don't have one. Easy to calibrate, no brainer to use, very precise.

Cap'n Crunch
03/26/2003, 08:14 AM
I started using one when the paper sleeve in my old hydrometer slid down without my noticing. :eek2:

Mike at Paragon told me the reason everything went ****- up, was that my SG was at 1.031. The hydro had it at a perfect 1.024 :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... If the Boston thing doesn't work out, Marine Depot has them for under $70. :)

Dazed1
03/26/2003, 10:01 AM
ah ok, i get it. Guess i'm one of the few who doesn't use and it probably should :o . There is one on ebay that goes for around 50 or so. Guess that's next before I get an external skimmer.

jdmarano
03/26/2003, 12:09 PM
I'd be interested in going in on these, but I think the BRS already placed their order, there were talks of a second order after they see how the first one goes. There's also some people in NYC ordering some for a different source as well. If the BRS has any extras, or places a second order I can probably pick them up as I work up in Boston.

moe_k
04/03/2003, 04:48 PM
Hey all,

Moe here from the BRS. Looks like our group is putting together another buy on refractometers. I'll post a link to the thread in the BRS forum:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=166231

Keep on eye on it. Looks like for now they want to hear how the first group's refractometers perform.
You folks are welcome to jump on in. Just tell 'em Moe sent you. The logistics of picking up your refractos will have to be worked out, but sounds like you've got something going.

We still should have a combined CARS/BRS meeting sometime this Summer. Maybe some big park in RI or something?
Talk to you folks later.
Moe
BRS Pres.

bard73
04/03/2003, 07:16 PM
I know a few of us will jump on board with BRS for next order I for one have put off buying one for to long. we will follow the post on your forum and join in.

Also a picnic together this summer sounds great! We need to make it happen this year. Lets give it some thought and we can plan everything out together. TTYL Eric Thanks again Moe

Cap'n Crunch
04/04/2003, 08:44 AM
A combined meeting sounds great, Maybe Ft. Wetherill, or Beavertail in Jamestown. That way diving members can have some extra-cirricular activities. :D

And if its close enough to the fall, collect tropicals! :fish1: :fish2:

tstone
04/17/2003, 02:55 PM
Hey all you Conn. people if you want in on this deal I think its going down very soon so post up at the thread Moe_k linked you to

ciwsmk15
04/25/2003, 12:03 AM
Picked one up last year and could not beleive how OFF my swing arm unit was ....wow!