PDA

View Full Version : Where are you getting your NSW?

Evergreen
03/25/2003, 05:55 PM
Docks and marinas will be slightly polluted? Where is a good place perhaps near Patchogue/Moriches/Smith Point? Are you allowed to just go and fill up tanks with ocean water? Anyone know where to buy aprox. 120 gallon water-bladder to carry water? (Under max load on the Pickup truck we have). This is more an interest Frank has than my idea. We ordered Live Rock btw should be in this weekend!

scubamook
03/25/2003, 09:46 PM
get as close to any of the south shore inlets (moriches, shinecock, fire island or jones)
i would wait for the last of the incoming tide.

i use a mixture of nsw and mixed instant ocean but i also have a boat and am able to go into the ocean to collect nsw.

as for a bladder, you can try a marine store they have bladders fro water and fuel. why not just get a bunch of garbage pails with lids and bungee them on the pick-up truck... drive slow.

mike f

billsreef
03/25/2003, 11:26 PM
Just head over to Moriches Inlet on the incoming tide ;)

Evergreen
03/26/2003, 07:33 AM
Moriches inlet.. Sounds familiar now that you mention it! I am not familiar with the south shore, having grown up in Setauket. The high tide thing was also something I hadn't thought about. Great ideas, thanks !

Justjoe
03/27/2003, 10:22 AM
Atlantis gets their water from Shinnecock inlet. The Jones Beach Fishing Piers also get a good flushing of water on an incoming tide. Pick a spot that has a good flushing rate and is easy to get to, at 8.33 pounds/gallon salt water is not fun to carry any distance. A boat bilge pump is a great way to pump water into containers using either your car battery or better yet a separate car battery. It's best to find a place where you can run a bilge pump and supply hose right to your vehicle so you don't have to carry any buckets, etc if you're looking to get lots of water. Garbage cans lined with large plastic bags, filled then tied off to prevent sloshing is an easy way to go.
Trade Fair Hardware has a variety of polyethylene containers, the most convenient is a 15 gallon container with screw on lid. They also have 55 gallon drums that were originally used for food item transport that can be rinsed and used. They also have polyethylene bulk storage containers which double nicely for transporting fish. Just remember to bring enough money:)

Evergreen
03/27/2003, 05:17 PM
great info, thanks. Frank is eyeing gas-powered (gasoline) water pumps in the Northern Tools catalogue! He seems to enjoy "collecting" pumps, generators, tools, etc. (I won't complain about this one this time!) I am a bit concerned over salt in some of these. He wants to get http://www.aquaflex.net/aquatank2/s also. This is the kind they said you can transport water in.

My Tank update:
The closed loop is finally right, i have done away with my 75 Freshwater system, the 75 is going to be the basement refug instead of the pond pool i had (sides collapsing too much). Live rock coming in soon. I just sent the payment today.

Corpus Callosum
03/27/2003, 06:27 PM
what type of live rock did you order? just wondering

:D

Evergreen
03/27/2003, 06:53 PM
I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2314309274&category=3212

Going to try and finish curing it or whatnot, then i will empty water and add my sandbeds. Seemed too cheap to pass over and I didnt want to shell out too much since its my first time! If its too terrible i will use it in my refugium and order something else for main tank... at 3.30 a pound it can be base rock and i wouldnt mind :p It is only 84 pounds worth so i am definitely going to need to add more eventually!

Corpus Callosum
03/27/2003, 07:33 PM
let us know how it is when you get it

MIKE NY
03/27/2003, 08:06 PM
Hey Guys,
in regards to the NSW, does it have to be treated in any way. I know I would have to play with the cal and alk levels to match my systems levels. I mean as far as any parasites and other nasties. I practically live at Point Lookout during the warmer months and I was always afraid to use it.

Mike

Justjoe
03/27/2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Evergreen
great info, thanks. Frank is eyeing gas-powered (gasoline) water pumps in the Northern Tools catalogue!

Most pumps won't handle the salt water, they can pump almost anything else on the planet but mention salt water and most manufacturers freak out. A bilge pump will move tremendous amounts of water with little energy.
Joe

Justjoe
03/27/2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MIKE NY
Hey Guys,
in regards to the NSW, does it have to be treated in any way. I know I would have to play with the cal and alk levels to match my systems levels. I mean as far as any parasites and other nasties. I practically live at Point Lookout during the warmer months and I was always afraid to use it.

Mike

I just mechanically filter if necessary. We do plan to put on some ozone as well sometime in the near future. If you're real worried, a little bit of bleach to nuke everything, then neutralize it with sodium thiosulfate or aerate it for a couple of days to blow off the chlorine. Some of Martin Moes books describe this for aquaculture work and it's very effective.
Joe

fishome25
03/27/2003, 11:23 PM
can I collect water and keep it in sealed buckets? will there be a small ammonia spike from die off of plankton?

billsreef
03/28/2003, 10:44 AM
Tom,

According to Moe you can leave it sealed in dark containers for 2 weeks or longer and any die off will have completed and bacteria will have broken down any ammonia by then. I've done this myself and have had no problems. I've also used it fresh collected and unfiltered with success, all those little pieces of seaweed are good food ;)

fishome25
03/28/2003, 04:14 PM
so u r saying use it the first day or wait 2 weeks, but don't use it in between?

MIKE NY
03/28/2003, 05:32 PM
thanks Joe....I'll have to try it.

billsreef
03/28/2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by fishome25
so u r saying use it the first day or wait 2 weeks, but don't use it in between?

That's right ;)

fishome25
03/29/2003, 03:19 PM
anybody interested in 55 gallon barrels? they are very sturdy and have a screw top w/ a rubber o-ring to seal it. they were used to store pickels so they need to be cleaned. Also 5 gallon size w/ the same design.

Lg will trade for 2 frags or $10
sm for 1 frag or $5

a little live sand would be cool too

billsreef
03/30/2003, 10:31 PM
Tom,

How many of those 55 barrels do you have?

fishome25
03/30/2003, 10:34 PM
i have lots but i can only bring so many in my pickup to each meeting.

billsreef
03/31/2003, 09:00 PM
Put me down for 2 of those 55's. I figure that's all my little pick up will hold in one trip ;)

fishome25
04/01/2003, 10:49 PM
i can bring 2 more

fishome25
04/03/2003, 10:20 PM
Well i got my first NSW today. I pumped 20 gallons into my tank as soon as I got it home w/o heating it. the tank temp dropped 3.2 degrees, all coral stayed open.

pyro383
04/04/2003, 02:08 PM
fishome, where did you go for it?

fishome25
04/04/2003, 04:31 PM
2nd wantagh bridge.

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 02:26 PM
Fishhome25,
Any updates on your water addition? All going well?

Evergreen
04/09/2003, 04:38 PM
I too added NSW but i am using it in curing my LR, so i can't comment on it besides saying it STINKS at the moment! :rolleyes:
We got two 55 gallon tanks and put one in each van. We pumped water up using an adapter attached to the car battery. Will post pix soon. The only thing which sucked was heating it. We ended up siphoning it into buckets and filling up a 15ish gallon rubbermaid container with a spare heater that used to be on my 75 (150 or 200 watt?) When the water was warmer we added it and refilled the rubbermaid. it took a whole day. Next time i may run an extention cord with the heater to the car, let it heat for 3 or 4 hours (and invest in a more powerful/faster water heater) :rolleye1:
I think i am going to dedicate another tank to storing water in the house too, and also PUMP the water into the house container. The pump we used to pump it from the ocean was too large to fit the opening of the container.

fishome25
04/09/2003, 06:56 PM
the first 1 went well. so did the second emergency edition when i woke up to an empty sump and soaked carpet. :( its good to have extra water on hand w/o waiting for it to mix. i need more but i guess its not a good idea to get more now b/c of run-off. thats y i went out in the middle of the snowstorm to get the water. brrrrr:eek2:

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the successful water addition. Sorry to hear about you flood. Is the sump OK or was it a plumbing problem?

fishome25
04/09/2003, 11:00 PM
luckily it was just a stupid plumbing accident