PDA

View Full Version : refugium

Carolee
03/24/2003, 11:51 AM
I am new to the hobby and have not used a refugium before. In about 2 months I wil be setting up a 125 gal tank. (I currently have a 75 gallon) How big of a tank do I need for the refugium? What all do I need to put in it? I am actually thinking of setting it up now before I get the new tank so it will have a head start.

basicreefer_conk
03/25/2003, 11:47 PM
In my opinion, the bigger the better. I believe you can unscrew one of the back braces on your stand (if its a standerd 125 stand), and provided the tanks not full, and fit in a 30 gallon tank.
Its 36x13x20 or something like that. I'm not sure. Good lights, 3 to 6 inch sand bed (I like aragamax) and some plants. I'm doing some research myself in this area. I have used various forms of cualerpas in the past; recemosa, taxifolia, razorblade, some leafy kind I cant recall. It grows really fast- especially recemosa, and uses up a lot of nitrates. But It competes with the corals for some trace elements (I think) and it releases some toxins when trimmed or when it goes sexuall. I'm still gray in this area but I do know there are other types of plants that do the trick and provide good food and breedeing for the "bugs".
Anyone with more info??

Yup
03/26/2003, 03:13 AM
are you going to be using the refuge as a sump also?

kgross
03/26/2003, 02:57 PM
Make the fug as large as you easyly can. But even one as small as a 10 gallon tank will make a difference in your main tank. I have a 4 gallon hang on on a set of over 300 gallons and it slowed down the algea growth in the 180 that gets direct sunlight to almost nothing.

Kim gross