PDA

View Full Version : c02 system

tjs reef
03/23/2003, 10:47 AM
does anyone know where to get a reasonable co2 system for a calcium reactor in the area

jbash
03/24/2003, 06:22 PM
There are several club members with experience, not sure how often they read our new discussion forum. Our Pres, Doug Lehman, did a presentation a couple months ago on building your own calcium reactor. So I suspect he would have ideas for where to get CO2 parts--and he definitely looks to buy at low prices:-)

Also, I remember Mike Kirda posting somewhere about getting CO2 tanks in Chicago (I read 3 listserves, reefs.org and parts of reefcentral when I have time so not sure where Mike posted). He has also posted on the issues of a quality regulator (I think that is the part, I don't have calc reactor yet and unfortunately had to miss CMAS meeeting where Doug talked about them).

I'm sure there are many other members with experience but Tom Sandercock, past pres, is the only other one I can think of with a DIY calc reactor. All 3 of these guys should have their email addresses on our web site under members (http://www.cmas.net). If not let me know. I'm sure both Doug and Mike would be more than happy to offer advise (Tom is a little harder to get)

Good Luck,

jim bash

alpine
04/10/2003, 02:44 AM
Dont know if you got your co2 system yet,but I got my 15# co2 tank from a place in indiana for $40.I picked up the dual regulator from ebay and the needle valve from marine depot if I remember correct.
Price break down:
co2 tank=$40
Dual regulator=$40
Needle valve=$23

All these prices are with shipping included.If you want the tel# for the place where I got the co2 tank from,let me know and I will get it for you.I can also get the number for the place I got the regulator from as well.Everything was new except for the co2 tank.You can always rent one from a local place like doug does,but I prefer to just pay the $15 to get mine exchanged every time it needs to be refilled.If I am correct I think doug pays $65 a year for his co2 tank.HTH

Jorge

tjs reef
04/10/2003, 07:21 PM
thank you for the suggestions can you send those phone numbers.who makes the regulator&needle valve

alpine
04/11/2003, 02:27 AM
Hi

Ok,here are the numbers and some web address's so you can check out the products yourself.

Dual regulator info:
The beverage factory
1-800-710-9939
www.beveragefactory.com
regulator=$34.50-shipping to my place=9.95

Needle valve info:
http://marinedepot.com/a_cr_co2_acc_info.asp?CartId=
Just use the link and scroll down a bit,
the needle valve was $18.95+shipping

Indiana Oxygen Co.
1-317-328-5007
15# co2 tank=$19.99-shipping to my place=$19.99-total=$39.98

So for a little over $100 you can get a complete co2 system.A lot cheaper then an aquarium specific co2 system.Like I said before, the co2 tanks are used,and you need to make sure you tell them you want the valve on the co2 tank to be for co2.You will also need to get one fitting that attaches the needle valve to the regulator.Should only cost a few bucks and you can pick that up locally.I still have yet to pick up mine,because I still have a month or more before I need to hook up my calcium reactor.

HTH Jorge