PDA

View Full Version : Care of New Frags

joe123987
03/23/2003, 09:37 AM
Hello All,

I was real excited to see how successful our last meeting was.

Congratulations to those of you who we were lucky enough to take home some frags. I know there was some concern about flat worms so I looked up this quote from reeffarmers.com. I know it's probably too late but it has some good advice for any future frags you might get.
This is an awesome sight for rare and unusual corals (look under "organisms for sale , then select "limited editions"). In fact, the "Blue Chalice" frag I talked about in the meeting is the one shown here and I reserved the bright green Montipora Aquituberculata - but won't get it until March 2004. (I guess nothing good ever comes fast in a reef aquarium). Anyway, here's some advice on acclimating and dipping new corals.

"When recieving farmed organisms, it is always best to assume that transportation stress has weakened the animal. One can also determine how bad the stress was by examining the bag water. Cloudy water and foul odor is usually an indication of heavy stress. It may be better to place heavily stressed animals into buckets with large quantities of clean fresh saltwater prior to acclimating them. The newly arrived animal should be observed for any signs of tissue loss or color fading. A animal that is losing tissue should be quarantined and you should assume that heavy stress has occurred. The best way to acclimate a moderately stressed animal is to float its bag or place it in a separate container where it will slowly be acclimated to the captive reefs water temperature and chemistry. Make sure that the temperature of the water does not cool below the captive reefs temperature. Once the organism is in water that is composed of at least 60 % of the captive reefs, you can then dip it to kill any disease pathogens that may have proliferated in the shipping container. Many species of bacteria and protozoan can usually be found in small numbers living on the surface slime of reef corals. Note - The coral blight problem in 1996 was due to a disease that was inside the coral. There really is no way to safely cure that disease without adding potentially lethal stress to the coral, considering typical transportation conditions. The coral dip procedure to kill surface disease is 20 minutes in 1 liter of 100 % captive reef water that has 10 drops of 5 % lugols solution (or 20 drops of the tincture of iodine found at local drug stores which is typically a 2.2 % solution). You can then place the coral or fragment into your reef.

If you have recieved unmounted coral fragments, it is always better to give them 24 hours in a good reef to recover from transportation stress. This should only be done if you have a safe flat surface where the fragment will not be bumped off by snails or blown off by water current. If you cannot provide safe haven then they should be mounted right after the iodine dip. I recommend using epoxy putty that comes in stick forms. Some have had good success with super glue. If using epoxy putty, stick the mixed putty to the rock out of water if possible. This makes the putty stick better. I also mount the fragment to the putty out of water, but quickly place it back underwater. I highly recommend you put the mounted fragment in a seperate container while the epoxy is hardening. Then discard this water when done. It is also a good idea to redip the fragment 48 hours after mounting. Use the iodine coral dip procedure above. This is to prevent secondary infections which can occur due to the tissue that dies from contact with the attachment epoxy or glue.

minh_han
03/23/2003, 02:48 PM
The xenia I received as a raffle prize is just not happy at all. It's all curled up and not pulsing at all. I acclimated it relatively slowly and then dipped it in 10 mg of quinine to attempt to kill off flatworms. It's currently residing in a low to moderate flow area of the tank about 1/2 way from the surface. Any suggestions?

Dan, your mushroom is looking mighty nice, and Jackie, the ricordia is wonderful.

joe123987
03/24/2003, 02:58 PM
Minh - here's a thread that might help:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166926&highlight=xenia

dburr
03/24/2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks Minh, good luck with them.

My candycane is doing weel also. I know everyone wanted a piece. I've been having trouble w/ my computor and lost my photoshop. I will try to post a pic, if it doesn't work, oh well.

dburr
03/24/2003, 09:13 PM
I gotta try once more.

minh_han
03/24/2003, 09:28 PM
Nice candy cane pic. I would have been really jealous if I didn't already have a small frag of candy cane from Ken (aka Nek). Of course, mine's not nearly that big, but that's ok. I just need to be patient with it all.

By the way, I was thinking about visiting and getting some snails. If by chance I scrounge enough money together, is there anything relatively inexpensive that everyone in the group doesn't already have but would like to get some day through a frag? I was thinking like a softy: nice color zoanthid or mushroom, maybe a leather or something. If I picked something out to shell out cash for, I don't want to find out at the next meeting that everyone and his brother is teeming with the stuff and just itching to get rid of it. Basically, I want a low priced, high demand, low supply item. :)

For example, are there any specific color zoos that no one has? I personally heard talk of some red zoos at the meeting that I'd like to get my hands on some day.

Dazed1
03/25/2003, 12:02 PM
Well, these are the pic's of the frag's that i got through the raffle and the trade. Ok, i got a little too many :o .

The green striped mushroom, its almost doubled in size !!!

http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic4.jpg

The frogspawn from Minh. its slowly opening/expanding day by day. Till today I had it in the middle of the tank with high current. Now I've moved it to the top of the tank with more light and a little less flow.
http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic5.jpg

One more :
http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic4.jpg

The ricordia.
http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic7.jpg

The leather I got from Bruce. I did not glue it to the rock, just wedged it in between ;) . Also its at the bottom of the tank for now.
http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic10.jpg

The ricordia that I will be fragging before the next meet, hopefully more than once since one is spoken for.
http://www.club3g.com/members/mayurb/frags/pic8.jpg

Looking forward to meeting you guy's again.
I also have a candy cane which i probably will frag before the next meeting. So if any of you want one, i'll try harder to frag it (don't know too well how to and am a little scared :( ).

joe123987
03/25/2003, 01:36 PM
Dazed

I really would like to get a frag of the green ricordia - it really looks nice. I will trade some bright metallic green stars that have encrusted a piece of heavy coralline encrusted (dark purple) live rock.

Joe

minh_han
03/25/2003, 03:01 PM
Mayur,

I gotta say that you really won out at the raffle. Do you realize that you won probably $200 of livestock? Maybe even more when you add the macroalgae and live sand. Not bad for a $10/yr club membership and a couple of bucks for a raffle, huh? I guess that's what we're all about.

I'm with Joe on the ricordia; I think they're beautiful. I'm glad I've already got dibs!

Also, in the not-too-distant future, you'll be able to frag your mushrooms and the leather. That'll give you plenty of trading power right there.

And actually, if you do end up propagating your mushrooms you just got, I'll trade you some of that Xenia I just got for it.

Boy, I can't wait for the next meeting!

Dazed1
03/25/2003, 05:45 PM
Thank's Minh. Yes, its good the two of you have dib's on the ricordia already. I will also be ready to frag the green striped mushroom. The rock has about 3 or 4 of them, and once in the tank the expanded more than double the size !!! That too will be out for frag. I can already actuallty trade 2 of them since they came off the rock and i've wedged it on another.
I'm hoping the leather get's big. Its a nice piece and any one who would get them would be happy (as I am :) ).

. I've spoken to him online once after I knew of the club and I plan on giving him a call tommorow or something so that I can go pick up a cleaner shrimp and something else for my other 20 that is a FOWLS.

Its good to be a member of CTARS.

-Mayur

minh_han
03/25/2003, 08:47 PM
I just got my first order, all inverts, and I'm acclimating them now. I'm way excited to get some snails that will help with the algae and diatom problem.

Mayur, I wish I had your phone number. I knew you were in Waterbury and would have liked to see your set up, but I had no way to contact you. Well, maybe next time.

LeslieP
03/26/2003, 12:11 PM
Mayur,
I'm glad to see that the mushrooms are doing as well in your tank as your ricordia is doing in mine - I just wish I had some pics. Some of those mushrooms have gotten to be ~3" across! At the rate that they are multiplying, I will be bringing mushrooms to all of our meetings. I'll have to get some fragged so that they will attach before the next meeting that I get to.

minh_han
03/26/2003, 09:53 PM
I got two frilly mushrooms on a rock from Dan. One was overshadowing the other, so I wanted to remove one and place it in a better place for growth. I tried simply plucking one off, but it was stuck tight to the rock.

Then I remembered reading that you can propagate mushrooms by slicing the top off and placing it on another rock. So, I took a scalpel from work and cut the crown off 1/2 way up the stalk. White guts started spilling out EVERYWHERE, and I was really nervous. The crown had also shrunk down to a nubbin. I got some netting (the stuff oranges come in ) and loosely rubberbanded it to an outcropping of rock.

I really hope I haven't killed my beloved mushroom.

Leslie, how do you frag your mushrooms? And if you have too many of those mushrooms, well, I might be able to find one or two people who can help you with your overpopulation problem!

LeslieP
03/27/2003, 07:58 AM
Hi Minh,

One of the mushrooms just peeled off when I grabbed it - that was the easy one! The others I just sliced off as close to the rock as I could (with a razor blade) - and yes, goo started coming out of them and my big, fluffy 'shrooms contracted down. I kept cutting and put the poor mangled tops into a specimen container with a small piece of rock to protect them from the current and keep them from blowing all over the tank. A few others I stuck into crevices in my rock where they have taken hold and look great. This was my first attempt at fragging anything, and since I have a good amount of them, I figured I would give it a try. HTH.

dburr
03/28/2003, 07:53 PM
mihn,
Don't fret over cuting the shroom, it'll grow and you will have more grow that are still stuck to the rock.
They move as they grow to get light. If you put a rock next to the shrooms they will move on to it. Then you can just pull them apart.

They really multiplied for me when we had a heat wave a couple years ago. I didn't have A/C in the room, the tank got pretty warm. The shrooms guts (the white strings) were hanging out of their mouths. I really thought I killed them.:eek: But, a few days later, some of them split into three or four shrooms.

The white strings (I forget what they are called) are some sort of a defense mechanism. Not sure how all that works, but yours will do fine.

hth, Dan