PDA

View Full Version : additived such as B-Ionic

reef-man_d-man
03/21/2003, 11:11 AM
Hello all St. Louis reefers again, I am starting this tread as an attemt to get my corals to grow. My tank is doing great, no ammonia, no nitrate and nitrite, great lites, (MH and NO) however my corals aren't growing like they should also my coraline algae is not really growing to well, so the question is what additives are y'all using (i'm still kinda new to the additive game)??? I am currently using only reef complete, however I am open to suggestions. Have any of you guys tried B-Ionic, BlackPoweder or any other additives. Let me know what you guys think and I will try anything or everything until I find something that works. I would have asked my LFS but as I'm sure you guys know every LFS is different in there additives and beliefs.

Thanks for your opinions.

Dallas Alley

Josh125
03/21/2003, 07:44 PM
Well since no one else has taken this question, I will. B ionic is a great product to maintain alk and cal. As for growing corals, what type do you have? It all takes time, lots of it.

ri
03/21/2003, 08:58 PM
I'm not from St. Louis but I'll answer anyway :D

I dose B-Ionic daily. Been doing so for about 3 years now. I suggest keeping a log of your Ca and Alkalinity levels and starts B-Ionic dosing per instructions. Retest to see how water parameters are doing and adjust accordingly.

ri

inwall75
04/13/2003, 06:37 PM
Haven't tried black powder. However, on another BB, I found that they didn't like it unless you had size sensitive feeders like scallops, gorgonians, etc. For most corals, they felt it was a waste of money. (This is what I have read.....I haven't tried the product).

I have used B-ionic and Reeflab #28 and have found both good for maintaining but not good for readjusting imbalances. This is in agreement with Josh125 regarding B-Ionic.

Saltgills
04/16/2003, 09:34 PM
Hi Dallas,
I have had good results with SeaChem products for many years now. I use Reef Plus, Reef Calcium, and Reef Complete twice a week. For a 75 gal with a moderate amount of corals, use one capfull of each, twice a week. My tanks are heavily stocked so I use twice this amount.

To maintain Alk, I use SeaChem in all my top-off water at 1 table spoon for every three gallons. Again, that is for a heavily stocked tank.

I tried Blackpowder at the rate recommended on the container and found it caused green algae growth.

As another reply started earlier...sometimes you just have to have patient I've had corals that didn't grow for nine months, but then took off like crazy.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

JRC