PDA

View Full Version : bangi cards-interested in breeding them

omahareefer
02/26/2001, 11:59 AM
hey guys I left a message a while ago about orange spots breeding--and I wanted to thank those who responded, I will take the advice and try some new things--This fish breeding thing has got me interested and I just set up a new 125 which will be an sps tank and I was wondering about the breeding of bangi cards. in this type of tank, what do they need, conditions, food, how long do they rear young-- you know all the info, basically. Any response would be good.

Rod Buehler
02/26/2001, 04:16 PM
Check eparc.com, rodsreef.com, the library at reefs.org, atlantisaquatics.com. That should be more than enough to get ya started. Frank Marini is the master banggai breeder, so keep your eyes open for his writings :)

FMarini
02/26/2001, 06:44 PM
Mr omahareefer:
I highly recommend you search the threads here and the archives as this topic is covered on many level, and many times.(as recently as last week as well)
Make sure you spell it correctly, its banggai cardinalfish, from the island where they have been located.
Fortunately we have been blessed to have a group of resident experts, and as humble as Rod as been on this post his http://www.rodsreef.com is a good place to read his experiences. There are a few more places which might fit the bill as well. Heres one of the top ones
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggais.html

if after you read all these articles feel free to email for more help.
frank

Wolverine
02/28/2001, 12:25 AM
Well, I'm one of the resident non-experts, but I thought I'd pipe in here for two reasons. I'm assuming from your user name that you're in Omaha. Since I'm always looking for locals, I felt I had to at least say something.
The other thing is that I do have a pair of breeding bangaii, and let me warn you about having them in a reef. Right now we have three bangaii that are up to the size that our original breeding pair was when we got them. The problem is that we can't catch them without tearing apart our reef, which we're not willing to do. It's a shame because we have several local people interested in taking them, but we just can't get them out.

As for caring for them, for the adults, it doesn't seem to matter. They're very hardy fish. For the young, we've raised none of them. Dad releases them, and we let Darwin take over. Every once in a while a baby that's a few months old will suddenly show up. And then within a few days he'll be eating what we put in for the rest of the fish.

Anyway, feel free to contact me, since I'm always looking to see other local tanks.

Dave