PDA

View Full Version : pistol shrimp in my ricordia rock i think

jledwards
03/19/2003, 04:35 PM
What’s up

I got home with my Ricordia and when I put the rock in my tanks I started to hear a clicking sound :confused: . I pulled the rock out before anything had a chance to jump ship. My first though was a mantis shrimp since I didn’t know at the time that pistol shrimp also make a click sound. I have it in a cup now its about ¼ inch long and his left claw is much larger then the right my digital camera is a piece of **** so I cant take a pic of it. I know is not a mantis but do you think it is a pistol?

o ya all but one of my ricordia have opened up hope they all make it.

is everyones ricordia doing ok that got them on tue?

thanks for the xenia lonnie

justin

witche42
03/19/2003, 06:19 PM
hi justin,
sounds like you lucked out and got a freebie, those pistol shrimp sell for between $10-20, i got a emrald crab once from a coral i bought, love those freebies, just kind of hate it when you get something bad. you almost certianly got a pistol shrimp. the big claw gives it away. i am in east alton, glad to see there are other sw guys over here.

steven

Im Lon 2
03/19/2003, 09:33 PM
Justin,

You scared me there for a sec.

I'm surprised that Shrimp did not jump ship when Mark and I split that rock. All of mine opened as well except for one. Got a couple Light green ones and a few Dark Green ones. Most of mine have 2 or 3 mouths. So I hope they will be splitting Shortly. Just not to fast:D

No problem on the Xenia. :)

dela
03/20/2003, 12:07 PM
Poor little shrimp. I'm sure we scared the crap out of it! ;)

wonderboy23
03/20/2003, 06:22 PM
that ship will be warped for life

Im Lon 2
03/20/2003, 06:23 PM
Bzzz Bzzzz Bzzzzzz LMAO!!!

wonderboy23
03/20/2003, 07:04 PM
You are going to give Dela nightmares. Glad he is doing ok. You missed all the excitement right after you left.

Im Lon 2
03/20/2003, 07:05 PM
What happend?

wonderboy23
03/20/2003, 08:58 PM
He had a bad reaction from the ricordia. I'll let him tell ya the rest.

dela
03/21/2003, 10:27 AM
It was not that big of a deal. I should have known better than to be grabbing them with my bare hands since I know I’m allergic to ricordia. I actually stopped wearing gloves b/c I only have the kind with powder and that stuff is not good for aquariums.

When you guys left I went upstairs to wash the stuff off my hands and face since they were starting to burn. Then got pretty dizzy for some reason – that was weird – told the wife I felt funny. Two seconds later she calls up 911 (way overreacting IMO – But in her defense I had just got done telling her how toxic some of my protopalythoa (sp??) corals might actually be).

Now apparently it was a really slow night b/c an entire battalion of emergency people showed up at the house! Cop cars, fire truck, ambulances, etc.. So I spent the next 30 minutes trying to explain to the army of emergency people what it was I had come in contact with as they looked at me with blank stares on their faces!

Meanwhile I can see all the concerned neighbors (it’s a quiet street) gathering around the front of the house trying to get a glimpse of what was going on!

So after asking me a bunch of questions to determine if I was coherent, we all went downstairs to check out the fish tank and then I turned them away since I felt fine. Before they left they insisted we contact poison control just to see what they said since they knew nothing about coral toxins… Fine..

Then poor Justin and his brother show up! Ha ha! :D

Then we called poison control just to see what they had to say and they really had no idea what I was talking about either.

Moral of the story? Wear gloves. And if you do have anything you are allergic to or that is poisonous, write all the information down. It’s hard to remember species names and their spellings when you are on the spot! :mixed:

jledwards
03/21/2003, 04:36 PM
made it easy to find your house :D

Josh125
03/21/2003, 04:41 PM
Wow, it sounds like I left before the action started! Well, glad to hear you are ok! Everything made it alive, didn't even lose one snail.

If you need a few snails Dela, I could hook you up with some no problem. I think 20 was a bit over kill for my tank, but they are doing a great job on the algae.

Im Lon 2
03/21/2003, 05:08 PM
I have already had a nudi find a power head. a little 50 gph power head. how in the hell he found his way in that I don't know. but there are little nudi part all over the tank. I sure hope he is not poisonous:eek:

griss
03/21/2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Mark, Come on over, I'll let you cut up some Ricordea here:D Don't worry, we're less that 3 minutes from the fire station.

Lonnie, sorry to hear about the Lettuce Nudi. I don't think you will have a problem as long as you get most of the pieces out of the tank.

George

Im Lon 2
03/21/2003, 06:49 PM
When I got home today I found that the other one found the same power head. I was telling mark I think these thinks like to go through blenders!! But this one did not die it is just the head moving around like no big deal:eek1: I was like What the #%#^!!! Strangest thing I have ever seen. Will the stuff in the live sand eat what is left in the tank?????:confused: can't seem to find much of the one that got in the fight with the power head today:rolleyes:

Josh125
03/21/2003, 09:32 PM
Wow Lonnie, sorry to hear about that. My nudi won't come off the front glass, oh well. Those little snails are making short work of my algae, I know I already said that but it's really something...even eating the coraline off the glass.

Hey Dela, funny thing. Actually as I was leaving and going down manchester I had to pull off for a fire engine heading up your way. No kidding, just thought of that........glad to hear you pulled through.

George, to bad you couldn't make it. It was pretty funny watching mark and lonnie carve up the rock...there was rock "mush" flying everywhere.....

:lol:

Im Lon 2
03/21/2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Josh125
Hey Dela, funny thing. Actually as I was leaving and going down manchester I had to pull off for a fire engine heading up your way. No kidding, just thought of that........glad to hear you pulled through.
Now that you say that I too remember pulling to the side. to funny:lol:
Originally posted by Josh125
George, to bad you couldn't make it. It was pretty funny watching mark and lonnie carve up the rock...there was rock "mush" flying everywhere.....
Glad we could entertain you:D :lol: :rollface: