PDA

View Full Version : Sand Trade??

DgenR8
03/18/2003, 01:32 PM
I'm always suggesting sand trades to people that want to increase bio diversity in their tanks, we get together on a regular basis, and I'm sure that many of you have stuff in your sand that I don't, but would like to, and vice versa.
My sand is well stocked with critters, beneficial critters that is, and I would welcome the opportunity to trade a cup or so with as many people as want to. Please, don't bring any unwanted pests, IE: the dreaded flatworms or pyramid snails. Who else would want to do this?

Stix
03/18/2003, 06:45 PM
Larry, I'll trade a cup with you. Even though my system is only 6 months old, I seeded it with lots of goodies. The things I have most are those little white stars and worms. And I don't have any nasties.

pyro383
03/19/2003, 12:40 PM
Im in, what size should we do, dixie cup or one of those big red cups?

DgenR8
03/20/2003, 12:50 PM
I don't know what you mean by "big red cup" but I'd say bigger is better. :)

Reefist
03/20/2003, 05:16 PM
I think he means the kind you find next to a keg at a party !About 12oz.

pyro383
03/20/2003, 06:17 PM
yep, the price club special

DgenR8
03/20/2003, 06:35 PM
K, sounds good. Who else is in for some 12 oz trades??

Easily Distracted
03/21/2003, 10:34 PM
I'm into it. How do I connect with you guys.
My fuge is actually a separate 20 gal. sand bed tank with no fish and barely any rock. Just a bunch of astrae shells and a little rubble. There is one brittle star and a blue leg hermit. That's it. It's low light right now so no macro, but lots and lots of critters. If you stare at the sand, it looks like its alive(you know what I mean) It's not online with my tank. I am just cultivating it for when I get a HOB fuge. I'll go stick a cup in the tank now to prepare. -John

Easily Distracted
03/21/2003, 10:38 PM
Hey,
What do you guys think about using one of those plasic containers you get from the deli. The 1/2lb size is about 1.5" tall and about 4.5" across. It would be easy for transporting too. Just put the lid on. -John

SWW1268
03/22/2003, 12:09 AM
I'm interested in trading, but I don't know how "live" my sand is. I've had my tank since June and everything is stable, so I know it's full of good bacteria. I have lots of pods in my tank, but I didn't think they live in the sand. If there are other criters in the sand, I haven't noticed. Anyway, if that's OK with you guys, I'll bring some in for trading.

Thanks,
Steve

DgenR8
03/22/2003, 09:35 AM
The purpose of this trade is to add bio diversity to our tanks :D If you have sand in your tank, and live rock, you have life that many of us might not. I just need to know how many seperate containers of sand to bring.

Easily Distracted
03/22/2003, 08:12 PM
I don't have a lot of sand to spare but whatever I lack in quantity I can try to make up in some fresh Southdown. Let me know if you guys are interested, I don't want to be "that guy".

In the meantime, I'm going to get some of this Southdown started so I'm better prepared.:idea:

Reefist
03/22/2003, 08:23 PM
I would be interested in a sand trade but I need to know when the meeting is first to see if I can come so put me on standby:)

pmui
03/27/2003, 11:02 AM
I'm in, I can spare a cup.

Peter

Reefist
03/27/2003, 01:15 PM
Maybe we could just set up a group tank and grow live sand;)
Tom

pmui
03/27/2003, 01:40 PM
Suggestion:

how about someone brings a 10gal tank. Everyone brings their cup of sand, pours the cup into the tank. Add a little saltwater. We'lll do this for everyone trading. mix the sand. and a cup of mixed sand for everone! :D Now I thinks that's diversity, an no one has to bring more than 1 cup.

Peter

Corpus Callosum
03/27/2003, 03:29 PM
I'll donate the 10 gallon tank if someone volunteers to maintain it at their house :D

pmui
03/27/2003, 03:30 PM
mike-

Does it come with a 55gal. sump? :D

Pete

Easily Distracted
03/27/2003, 03:46 PM
If you mix it up on the spot with extra water, we could re-portion it and take it home the same night.

Or, if you want to mix them together and cultivate, I could donate a bag of southdown.

dragonwrasse
03/27/2003, 04:17 PM
I like to be in also, but don't know if my sand contains "nasties" or not.

DgenR8
03/27/2003, 04:18 PM
I wasn't looking to culture a ton of sand, just wanted to add some diversity to my tank.
Putting everyone's sand together is a pretty good idea, but where are we gonna do that?
Let's find out how many people want to get some sand, even if their tanks arent ready for them to contribute sand, I'm sure we can spare it. ;)
Next, we find out how many people have sand that's ready to contribute.
Then, we can figure out if each of us need 2 cups, or whatever, so there's enough to go around.
So, if you wanted in, but felt like you didn't have sand to offer, and kept quiet, chime in now, let us know.
If you haven't yet offered some of your sand, speak up now as well.
I still don't know where we're gonna mix it all up........

DgenR8
03/27/2003, 04:21 PM
Please, if you even suspect that your sand might contain "nasties," please, keep your sand. I do not mind donating more than what I'm leaving with, I just don't want to leave with any "NASTIES"

pmui
03/27/2003, 04:35 PM
I didn't think of cultivating te sand, just to mix sand and divi it up again that day.
I do think that everyone should bring a cup of sand, if its new it ok, because when we mix it, it will eventully become live sand. But if you have nasties in there, we can give you some without you donating, just bring a cup :)
If the tank is too much of a problem, maybe a large plastic container or something. It could be mixed on the floor or in the trunk of a car.
Peter

Reefist
03/27/2003, 05:07 PM
The sands microfauna is to delicate for just mixing and dividing. I think Billsreef probably knows alot about sand. I think most times when you extract bristle worms, spaghetti worms and brittle stars you siphon them out. I have alot of tiny burrowing cukes and I know they don't like being mixed around. Most other pods and shrimp hide in algae.I just though growing sand in a group tank would show where and how necessary fauna flourishes. I think if you wanted to trade sand you would have to keep the sand in a cup in the bottom of the tank from were it will be taken then let it resettle. Then bring it in for trade. But Maybe Bill will chime in with his opinion.
JMO
Tom

Reefist
03/27/2003, 05:12 PM
Maybe we could set up a tank at Les's , if he wanted,then we could all bring our sand wait a couple of months and then everyone can take some. Just an idea:rolleyes:
Tom

Easily Distracted
03/27/2003, 05:26 PM
About a week ago I scooped up a few party cups of my cultured sand and am letting them sit in the tank, undisturbed for a while before trading. I then shifted the remaining sand to one side as gently as I could. Then I added fresh sand to the other side to culture some more.
It is definitely going to take a little while before the sand looks as good as it used to, so I agree with Reefist's approach.

I will go along with whatever the group decides is the best method. I still have that bag of sand if we need it.

Corpus Callosum
03/27/2003, 06:26 PM
Les has done enough for the club, no need to burden him further. I would say I'm willing to take care of a tank for culturing the sand, but I randomly go away on weekends and don't think I could keep up with top off (my main tank has auto top off). If anyone wants to hold the tank then they can volunteer, otherwise, I think you guys should go with your original plan of trading sand without dividing it.

Then next month or more, you trade sand again, this time trade with a different person than last time. You guys may keep doing this at certain time intervals for maximum diversity.

- Mike

Reefist
03/27/2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah I guess your right . I wish I wasn't renovating my house and the basement in dissarray I would gladly do this . If I could get the sand to have as much life as the sand in my refugium you would all be pleased.But Mikes right as usual.
Tom

pyro383
03/28/2003, 10:56 AM
Reefist, when you make the next mtg, you need to announce that you are a cabinet maker. I know a few people who have been asking but always seem to miss ya.

With regards to the sand, I say risk it, bring in a 20g rubbermaid, dump the sand when we start, at the end we take a scoop out. You will get life no matter what, maybe less, maybe more, but to setup a sand tank and what not becomes a burden.

dragonwrasse
03/28/2003, 11:26 AM
I have room for the tank, but I live in NJ and don't know how people feel about that.

I still like the idea of "Club Sand". There will always be newbies who don't really feel comfortable asking other individuals for free stuff. Maybe we should have "Club Macros" and "Club Xenia" too.

Reefist
03/28/2003, 04:55 PM
Reefist, when you make the next mtg, you need to announce that you are a cabinet maker. I know a few people who have been asking but always seem to miss ya.

I know I didn't mention my screen name last meeting.I usually have a pencil behind my ear and everyone knows I'm a carpenter. I'll bring my pencil next time:)

DgenR8
04/07/2003, 10:31 AM
Good news!
Les has a tank that is so far just for live sand that he is selling. I have brought some sand there to add to it, and everyone else is welcome to do the same. We can give it a few weeks, then everyone gets some! Les gets to benefit from this as well. The live sand he will be selling will have all the diversity of all of our tanks. Please remember, if you have even the slightest incling that there are unwanted critters in your sand, keep it! I'll bring some more to even things out, and let you get in on this, without a donation. I got lots of sand!
Les has been great to us here, and this is just one more thing he didn't have to do for us, don't forget to say thanks, and pick up a new coral for your tank while you're there!

Easily Distracted
04/07/2003, 11:03 AM
I'm ready to bring some sand to Les'. I haven't been to a meeting yet, so where is Les' and what's the best way to get there from say the Jericho Tpk/ Rt 110 intersection/area?

DgenR8
04/07/2003, 11:48 AM
Les is on the South East corner of North bound 5th Ave & Main street in Bayshore.
5th Ave splits, and becomes 2 one way streets. So if you're southbound on 5 th Ave from say, SS Pkwy, you will go one block south of Main St., turn left, make the first left again, and Les' store is on the right hand side at the first corner.
Fishy Inc.