PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question....and nice to be in Chicago!

ToiletTank13
03/15/2003, 10:04 AM
Acrylic 135 tank, all connections under tank. Have 2 x 3/4" return standpipes and 2 x 1" drain standpipes. The returns are threaded 3/4" bulkheads, the drains are 1" slip bulkheads.

Im going straight up with a Dolphin 2100 pump into 1.5" PVC, to a 1.5" in & 2 x 1.5" out flexible Y, to 3/4" reducers with barb, hose to 3/4" barb/hose adapter into the bulkhead. That's the supply.

I want to be sure my drains will be able to handle the output of those 2 x 3/4" return lines with that pump, so I need a good way to run the drains to ensure this. I know the drains are larger than the returns, but this pump will be spitting out quite a flow and I don't know if this will overflow the drains or not. I was thinking of doing the drains as follows:

1" slip bulkhead to a 90 1" slip/barb adapter and running 1" hoses to the wet/dry.

My concern with this is that the adapters reduce the flow somewhat even though they are 1" to 1" just as the 3/4" barb/hose adapters reduce the size below 3/4" inside them.
Seeing as how the drain water is under little pressure the reduction will have more of an effect the on the return since that is under higher pressure.

Would it be better to just run all PVC for the drains and cement everything in, going with unions near the wet/dry for disconnect purposes?

Just need someone with experience with different plumbing styles to comment on which system would flow better or whether doing it with hoses and barb adapters will work OK.

Thanks

jbash
03/25/2003, 06:17 PM
I happened to notice you didn't get any replies to this post. So I wanted to at least respond "hi" and welcome to Chicago! I can't think of any real "plumbing geeks" in the club--hopefully you figured out that you will probably get lots of help (opinions at least) if you post the same question in the DIY forum.

Good Luck!

Jim Bash
CMAS Membership committee chair

Papajin
03/26/2003, 01:07 AM
How exactly does one become a "plumbing geek"? I mean I'm fascinated by tank plumbing myself. Prossibly as much as the tanks themselves! I can't resist looking at people's plumbing when they post pictures of it. I think I'm sick or something. I need to start a new tank just so I can plan and build the plumbing. :D

I didn't answer though as I'm not really an expert on plumbing. If I say anything it's more a guess or an opinion. For instance, I don't think using hose barbs will make much difference as the barb that you slide the hose over should actually have the proper ID as it actually will expand the tubing that slides over the barb connection. Loss should be minimal at worst.

A proper plumbing geek would probably just test it out and then make adjustments as necessary. :)

jbash
03/26/2003, 07:11 PM
I guess when I said "geek" I meant expert. I too am fascinated by the varied and creative ways we plumb our sumps. But I'm not into the technical calculations of thinks like flow rates and head pressure. Some of the "experts" in the DIY forum are busy using engineering tables to figure out how each elbow reduces head pressure and other such interesting activities. That is what I meant:-)

I consider myself a "fish geek" but am happy to consider you a "plumbing geek" (or should I feel sorry for you and refer you to a 12 step program? :-)

jim b

Papajin
03/28/2003, 03:43 AM
I find that my own particular brand of insanity doesn't bother me all that much so I think I'll stick with it. To be honest, I'd probably qualify more as a computer geek than anything else, but I wouldn't mind minoring in plumbing and reefkeeping. :D

dually13
04/09/2003, 07:02 PM
Hello here is my two cents, I have a 150 gallon and do alot of plumbing. I have set up many tanks and other things all of them that I have done i used flexible tubing.
I use this to prevent sharp turns I also do not use hose barbs. I will just use a pvc fitting and glue in a short piece of plastic pipe. then I get clear plastic hose that will just fit over the pipe and double clamp it. i have found that if you use metal hose clamps, it is posible to cut in to the hose if over tightened. if you live near Roliiing Meadows I would be happy to help give you ideas or help doing it let me know.