PDA

View Full Version : Clams - what makes em happy ?

Clyde
02/24/2001, 01:39 AM
whats a good setup for a clam tank or clam tank with SPS dominate ?

I was told a lot of current could prevent a clam from feeding.

I have my clams - 4 in all.

3 Dreseas
1 Maxima (I think it is - its new picked it up today)

2 of my dresea had discolration starting up, and was told it could be my current., so I movedit into my refugium, now a grow out tank with no predators and a maxijet 600 feeting the tub, with a rio 600, throttled back for current in tank.

150W MH Pendant over the tank, where my 2 clams are, and the new green maxima I picked up today.

I am thinking of getting the Knop book - but is there a web page, info, whatever and how to ID various clams online ?

thanks

also list - whats good what kind substrate too ?

herefishiefishie
02/24/2001, 10:30 AM
I strongly suggest you get the Knop book soon. It seems that you might have done a bit more research before buying 4 clams. It's best to know the requirements of the creature before purchasing.

There's no way to cover all your questions in a message board format. It would take the entire book to answer them. However, I'll give you some short answers:

A lot of current blowing directly on the clam will cause it to close up, and it must be open so the light can shine on the mantle. This is how the clam feeds. Also, it will absorb nutrients from the water, and filter-feed tiny plankyonic organisms from the water. Do not directly feed your clam anything.

150 W MH should be enough; keep that maxima very close to the light.

here's a place to get some identificattion info on clams:
http://members.home.net/greenmariner/clampage.htm

HTH

Clyde
02/24/2001, 01:38 PM
I am not putting or leaving the maxima in that 150W system, its a bit like my QT tank, or something like that - see how it reacts and stuff, feed for a few days then move into the dual 400 system.

I dont want to put in and see it dies in a few days - becuase the store is not really all that great, he said he had it for 3 weeks, the clam didnt attach to his rockwork etc, so I wanted to see how it reacts then move.

yes I plan to order the book.

Clyde
02/24/2001, 05:47 PM
okay, did a lot of reading..

its a Tridacna Squamosa.

herefishiefishie
02/24/2001, 06:50 PM
Cool. Squamosa's a great clam. The scutes on the shell provide a nice platform for the growth of little feather dusters and coralline algae and such. Enjoy.