PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of the Live Rock

Reefkeeper
02/23/2001, 01:52 PM
Last weekend I bought two Perc Clowns as my cycle fish.
They seem to doing very well.
I think they're lovers. They were together when when I bought them and they wont leave each others side. They are very human frendly. They stay in the front of the tank and will come right up to ya when you look in. They can't wait to eat every night, so they seem to be fine, but they will not go near the 90 lbs. of live rock in my 55g tank. I was told by my LFS that they were tank raised. Could this be the reason, and if so what are my chances of getting them to swim in and out of the LR. Thanks for the replies.

Joez
02/23/2001, 02:06 PM
They'll swim wherever they are comfortable; nothing to do there.

The bigger problem, though, is that you used fish to cycle the tank. Depending on the amount of die-off from the LR, you may kill your fish. At least, they'll suffer in a toxic environment.

Don't use fish to cycle a tank, the LR alone will do it.

saltbuddy
02/23/2001, 05:26 PM
I have a pair of occ.s. the female goes where and when she wills, but the male stays in or around the ritterii.
Tank raised just means they have less of an issue of transport/H20 quality/acclimation time!

Skipper
02/24/2001, 12:08 PM
Clownfish are more open-water swimmers. You will rarely, if ever, see them zipping in & out of holes or caves in your live rock. Dottybacks love to do this, however. I agree with Joez...not a wise idea to cycle your tank with a fish, especially a clown. This is old-timey thinking which, I imagine, was given to you by an ill-advised LFS. Come to this board for better advice from more experienced reefkeepers.

Pfammy
03/07/2001, 11:05 PM
I was going to say when i read your thread that it was not a good idea to cycle your tank with fish in it. But sometimes this works out okay, just watch them closly, and if you have to put them in a hospital tank.

Percs. dont usually go in and out of live rock. They usually find a spot they like and stay there, or they swim all over the front of the tank. Dont worry about it.

Also if you want them to go in an out of stuff and be more interactive, in a month or two go out and buy a bubble tip, they are a bit pricy, but once your tank is established, they are a good treat.

Joez
03/07/2001, 11:19 PM
Don't get anenomes this early.