PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of this place??

JRegs
03/12/2003, 09:27 AM
www.fishfactory.us
Wholesale..open to the public. Looks like it's somewhere in the Northeast. Curious if anyone's been there.
John

Green Mariner
03/12/2003, 12:28 PM
John, I know right where this place is, if you want to take a ride up there one wed night let me know. Just give me a call!

Lou

henkelsfamily
03/12/2003, 12:34 PM
I think that I am going to stop by before the meeting tonight.

Walter

SeaMac
03/13/2003, 03:38 PM
Please post an update once you guys check it out...I'm interested in hearing what you think so maybe I'd check it out too. :)

Chris

psilberschatz
03/17/2003, 05:09 PM
Did anyone ever get around to going up there? I'm thinking about heading up there this week.

FlashPro
03/18/2003, 02:55 PM
I'm also curious. Their website doesn't say much. It sounds like a blackmarket for fish!

shawnkenn
03/18/2003, 07:10 PM
Hello all I'am going up on Wed. will post after and let everyone know what I see

henkelsfamily
03/19/2003, 07:13 AM
My son and I plan on being there around 5pm. I too will post the results of my findings.

Walter

shawnkenn
03/19/2003, 08:03 PM
well I just got back and I can say they have some realy nice corals but man are they huuuge alot of show pieces not to bad of prices(and they have 20% off all marine fish and coral) I left with a nice Purple Gorgonian($9.99) and 2 small frags one carnation and one that I dont know I will post a photo for help IDing. So all and all I would go back. Hope this helps. Shawn

henkelsfamily
03/20/2003, 08:20 AM
I went last night. The guy that ownes the place has a good sized aquarium maint. business. He has this location to house the fish that he uses for his customers tanks. Very nice guy. The marine section is a bit small but his prices are good and he is setting up more tanks on his system for marine (12 more tanks). I picked up an Achlies Tang (nice size and fat) for 39.00 and a bar gobie for 9 (also big and fat). The deals of the night were 3 used little giant pumps two 2QX and one 4QX, used but in good working oreder. All three for 90 bucks. They had a bunch of nice used skimmers, emperior, Berlin, fake LifeReef and a Tunzer turnbell skimmer. Overall I think that this place will be a nice alternative to The Hidden Reef or just another place to shop. The owner did say that he takes special orders.

Walter

jersey
03/27/2003, 12:53 PM
The place is now open on Sundays from 10 to 5. I saw a huge ad in the Thursday edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

henkelsfamily
03/28/2003, 06:21 AM
Very cool. Sundays are much easier.

Walter

CJerome21
04/22/2003, 07:22 PM
Did any of you guys that went get a look at their live rock? Was it any good or should i just go to THR?
C. Jerome

shawnkenn
04/22/2003, 07:34 PM
I've been there 3 times now and all I can say is everything I saw was realy nice. The liverock was nice with alot of growth and nice color. And the best thing was that they let me pick through the coral tanks for small frags(my tank is a 51/2 gal. nano). The last time I went I got a small frag of gonapora, a small cabbage frag and 2 small pieces of liverock with red and orange sponges on them,and it all cost me $10.00 THEN THEY TOOK OFF 20% FOR A TOTAL OF $8.00!!! cant beat that. I would say check this place out.

gweezpie
04/22/2003, 09:15 PM
Did anyone notice his drygoods section for equipment?

used or new. --tanks, lights etc. I think i will be there on sunday.

thanks
joe

CJerome21
04/23/2003, 09:33 AM
shawnkenn
Thanks, it sounds great there, i cant wait to get home from school(just 13 days left) and go there. I too have a nano, a 6 gal set up for over a year and a half but i dont have many corals in it because THR is expensive and lots of the stuff is too big for my tank. I am starting a 2.5 when i get home so i will be sure to get my rock there. I hope you left some small frags for the rest of us nano people. And the price that is amazing, i can afford that on my budget.
C. Jerome

shawnkenn
04/23/2003, 09:50 PM
No problem I'll try to leave some,:D You just have to look realy well in the tanks, when you see something just let them know you have a nano tank and they seem glad to help. as far as drygoods they have one full row of shelfs with skimmers,heaters,and the like,as far as used tanks I saw 2 the last time I was there, didnt check the prices they were to large for me,one was 180gal. and the other was 55 gal. so I know they have them. All in all they seem first rate in my book and I will go back. Shawn

joetbs
04/24/2003, 06:18 AM
I'm from NY and i stopped by today on the way to a gig. Didn't see many frags, but i did get a pair of red-head gobies for $14 total. Can't beat that. The LFS near me charge $30 a piece. Alot of the freshwater prices were good, not too many great deals on salt. I would've got another urchin, but $8 is too rich for my blood.

CJerome21
04/24/2003, 08:40 AM
Ohh, Red heades gobies, i want a pair of those for my new tank. I cant wait to get home and check this place out, and to hit up the monthly meething. Hope to meet some of you.
C. Jerome

Summitpa
04/24/2003, 09:09 AM
Next time someone goes, do a post about the dry goods. Good selection? What are they geared for? SW FW? I'd like to know, then I'll take a drive.

gweezpie
04/24/2003, 10:16 AM
I am going to go on Sunday. I have a 125g and am looking to upgrade and a 180 sounds good. I'll report more details and current selection sunday night.

Joe

Buzz_Hog
04/27/2003, 06:02 PM
Guys, I headed over there today and scored a SWEET deal...

Picked up a small used wet/dry filled with new mini bioballs, an overflow with safety syphon, 5 feet of 1 inch tubing, and a Mag-Drive 7 with 1 month on it for the whopping total of $98...

It's a smallish kind of place, but great for finding great deals on equipment...

If you're in the area, definately stop by this place...

gweezpie
05/04/2003, 06:19 PM
Finally got there this weekend..If you are unfamiliar with the area you need to make a left on southhampton road from the turnpike...trust me.

Smallish is correct. But it seems very hit or miss with used equipment of any kind. Nice little operation if you live locally...if not, you will probably be disappointed.

I left w/ out a purchase and traveled the extra few miles to the hidden reef....Now that place is worth the trip.

Just FYI...the hidden reef has huge quantities of MarineMix Bio Assay salt. 150g for under $18. It would cost you over 50 to buy direct.

If you have read the infamous salt study...you'll know why I am pointing this out.

Good Day Mates!
Joe:bum:

Buzz_Hog
05/04/2003, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it's definately the ind of place you want to check out before you hit THR...

THR always has great prices and are comperable to what you would find online with shipping taken into consideration..

GeorgeS069
05/15/2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by gweezpie
Finally got there this weekend..If you are unfamiliar with the area you need to make a left on southhampton road from the turnpike...trust me.

Smallish is correct. But it seems very hit or miss with used equipment of any kind. Nice little operation if you live locally...if not, you will probably be disappointed.

I left w/ out a purchase and traveled the extra few miles to the hidden reef....Now that place is worth the trip.

Just FYI...the hidden reef has huge quantities of MarineMix Bio Assay salt. 150g for under $18. It would cost you over 50 to buy direct.

If you have read the infamous salt study...you'll know why I am pointing this out.

Good Day Mates!
Joe:bum:
The Marine Mix salt at THR is NOT the BIOASSAY version of the Marine Mix
It is the REEF BLEND version and has a dechlorinator mixed in

Nathan
08/02/2003, 04:20 PM
Anyone been here recently?

Are they still open? What's it like now that it's been a few months down the road?...

-Nathan

Mac-E
08/03/2003, 10:05 AM
I was there Wednesday and am going back today. You can find good deals if your timing is right. :)

LawnTodd
08/12/2003, 09:23 PM
Place has good deals, but I wouldn't trust their advice ( they will try to sell you angles to put in a reef tank "sure all angles are reef safe" ) I have never had bad advice from THR.

millisec
10/08/2003, 03:50 PM
Just came back from my first time... Probably the only good thing is that its 5 minutes away... basically a garage operation in an industrial complex.

The way they price is absolute BS. The take 20% off listed price and for ALL the hard items I checked more expensive than most including Hidden Reef, especially chemicals.

The livestock was for the most part laughable. Half of the stuff is not even lighted. I make the rounds pretty much weekly, especially since I'm not working, and pretty much everything in coral & salt fish is overpriced. Not to mention there was not a coral I would of bought at any price.

The one nice thing they have lots of is liverock. Very poor color (no lighting helps) but very nice size and shape for $3.99. I actually probably would have bought some if not currently out of space. Think its supposed to be Fiji but looks a lot more like Marshall.

Most of the used stuff is junk and anything worthwhile is overpriced. They had a 4ft CSL 4x96w PC for $500. Thats what I paid new with warranty.

Bottom line is I might check back again since they are so close but they need some serious improvement. With that whole pricing scheme and the ludicrous claims of wholesale to the public I would not trust them.