PDA

View Full Version : Need some macro algae

Blackgagt1
03/12/2003, 08:12 AM
Does anyone know where i can get some macro algae for my refugium?

Does anyone have any or does anyone know of any stores that has some to sell.

If any of you have any and a willing to give me just a little a very little i am willing to pay for it.

makoshark
03/13/2003, 04:28 PM
I know of two stores where you can buy Calpura.

1. Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg.
2. Pet Supplies Plus in Aurora

Both offer CMAS members a discount.

I've got some hair algae that you can have.

Blackgagt1
03/13/2003, 06:03 PM
i have plenty of hair algae on the back wall of my tank.

thanks for telling me some places it will be a great help for me.

do you happen to know any prices?

makoshark
03/14/2003, 08:07 AM
Maybe what I have isn't hair algae. It's growing out of my live rock. It's long and stringy. It looks like hair but I know what you are talking about in the back of your tank,this is different. I have a small rock that looks like a chia pet gone wild if you don't trim it. I'd be happy to let you have it. If you have a DSB I'd only ask that we trade a cup of sand to increase critter diversity in each of our tanks.

makoshark
03/14/2003, 08:08 AM
Sorry about that. You asked about prices.

Best I can do is give you a link to their phone numbers.

http://cmas.net/supporters.htm

jbash
03/14/2003, 09:45 AM
Jeff, your "chia pet" hair sounds like something we had that was probably "maiden's hair" or maybe "turtle grass". This isn't a pest, AFAIK, ours never spread and eventually we lost it. I've seen it for sale mail order. We thought it was rather pretty and our snails kept it "mowed".

Sorry you won't be at Harbor, see you next month!

jim b

makoshark
03/14/2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jbash
Jeff, your "chia pet" hair sounds like something we had that was probably "maiden's hair" or maybe "turtle grass". This isn't a pest, AFAIK, ours never spread and eventually we lost it. I've seen it for sale mail order. We thought it was rather pretty and our snails kept it "mowed".

Sorry you won't be at Harbor, see you next month!

jim b

Thanks Jim,

The Algea grew out of the Live Rock I purchased from Harbor Aquatics in January. I dropped in a little rubble rock and it has spred out into the sand here and there but not plague proportions. Perhaps if you purchase some small rubble rocks you might have some again. It sounds to me like your snails chewed it down to the roots. My Astrea snails won't touch it but I'm hoping to get some Nudibranch to keep it neat and trimmed.

See you next month!

AuroraDave
03/14/2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Blackgagt1
do you happen to know any prices?

I paid 1.99 for a bag full at Pet Supplies + a few weeks ago. I forgot to ask for the CMAS discount.

Petland in Naperville (59/ogden) will sell you some too.