PDA

View Full Version : Best Kelvin Lighting To Use

Julio
03/11/2003, 09:08 PM
Hey Anthony,
I was at your lecture in New York in Sept. I remmber you saying that 65K will give you optimum growth, but i would like to know what light bulb you really recomend and what brand?
thansk,
Julio

Anthony Calfo
03/11/2003, 09:29 PM
Cheers, Julio :)

It is a pleasure to hear from you, my friend. I was almost back in New York again this May for LIRA and to visit BAS but just couldn't work it into the schedule.

Nonetheless... I was chatting with John Toddaro from BAS today and may be returning for a visit late in the year. Hope to see you again :)

As far as reef lamps... it is such a fast evolving technology. Do keep in mind that any "best of" list from anyone will change easily in as little as the 6-12 month picture.

With that said... and with the understanding that natural sunlight is best ;) ...

I really like the double ended HQI lamps very well. Even as cool as 10K

For specifics... I like Iwasaki 6500Ks when growth is a primary focus.

I like 10K Aqualines or Ushios when you want good growth and a little bluer color (more attractive to most aquarists).

And I like 20K Radiums to finesse some (some... not all) tricky colors with stonies. Much more blue than needed for many corals though. You better like blue! :) I do.... I'll admit it.

Of course, it is the species of coral you select that will ultimately dictate which lamp color you will want/need to emphasize. But the above is a fair generalization of my opinion.

If the question ever comes down to CRI, PAR values, lamp life, efficacy, etc (that which is beyond practical applications)... I would certainly defer to a consensus from the likes of respected folks that have done research on the subject like Sanjay Joshi and Dana Riddle (Riddle Laboratories).

Kind regards to all.

Anthony

Julio
03/11/2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for you help Anthony and i look forward to seeing you at a BAS meeting soon.
Julio

Anthony Calfo
03/11/2003, 09:44 PM
Always welcome my friend... be seeing you soon :)

I haven't had good smoked salmon and bagels since my last visit :p

Ha!

Julio
03/11/2003, 09:53 PM
Hey we all know NY bagels are the best in the world, is all in the water, that is why the corals stay healthy.
Julio