PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with my Button Polyps

buggle
03/11/2003, 11:44 AM
I have a rock with green buttong polyps on them. They've been in the tank for about 2 months. When I first bought them, they were doing great!! I did find a nudi on it and removed it after about 3 days. They have grown very TALL, but now most of the taller ones and some of the shorter ones have lost all their green. I thought they were getting "sunburnt" and moved them from the middle of my tank to the right side, where they hardly get any of the MH (they're now under 220 W VHO). But now it looks worse!! They are constantly letting off the slime now also. What could this be? Do they like low light or high light? Is circulation much of a concern? I think they are doing OK, but would like the green color back. Everything else in my tank is doing fine and growing nicely.

Parameters:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
sp. gravity: 1.023
alk: 13.8dKH
Ca: 380

Thanks

holeinone1972
03/11/2003, 01:51 PM
Reaching at straws here but what kind of fish or inverts do you have?

Rob

buggle
03/11/2003, 02:35 PM
I have three scarlet hermits, about 10 blue legged, 5 turbos and I think 7 astrea; 1 ocellaris, 1 black & white perc, bangaii, lawnmower, and a mandarin. All in a 55 gallon, 90lbs of live rock with a 20 gallon refugium under 220W VHO with a 250W MH on one side. Also have some mushrooms, tubastrea, xenia, green star polyps, green/brown/pink zoos. Should I try moving the polyps again?

Thanks

Buggle

holeinone1972
03/11/2003, 02:47 PM
I would put them where they get good flow. I have some stubborn zoo's who want to stay closed without good water movement.

Rob

buggle
03/11/2003, 04:07 PM
they stay open all the time (except at night of course!) I have no problems with that. My problem is with them losing their color and always "sliming." Any other ideas? Thanks.

Buggle

RicksReefs
03/11/2003, 07:20 PM
IME, if they're 'tall' they're reaching for more light.
if these are the brown/green protopalythoa buttons,
they're usually found in high light areas on the reef,
and will readily eat meaty foods.
i'd give'em decent flow to remove the 'sliming',
& move'em higher in the tank.
JMO/HTH

for more info check;

www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/invert.htm

www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/

www.wetwebmedia.com/zoanthid.htm

buggle
03/11/2003, 09:14 PM
alright, I just moved them. They are now on the bottom on the MH side. I hope they get their green back. Rick, I thought that was why they were so tall (reaching for light) but I didn't want to move them back to the MH side because I thought that that was why they lost their green in the first place. We'll see how that turns out. Thanks again.

Buggle

buggle
03/11/2003, 09:22 PM
alright, I just moved them. They are now on the bottom on the MH side. I hope they get their green back. Rick, I thought that was why they were so tall (reaching for light) but I didn't want to move them back to the MH side because I thought that that was why they lost their green in the first place. We'll see how that turns out. Thanks again.

Buggle

buggle
03/11/2003, 09:26 PM
Sorry for the double post, I couldn't delet for some reason... thanks for the links, just read them, very imformative!

Buggle

RicksReefs
03/11/2003, 09:27 PM
:thumbsup: