PDA

View Full Version : Can you keep large amounts of SPS and softies together

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 10:42 AM
I know you can have some softies with sps and some sps with softies but could you have a tank almost 50/50. I am asking because right know i have VHOs and PCs so i don't have any acros and only a few hard coras at all. I am buying a 180 next month and getting 3 400 watt halides. Due to this i want to go SPS crazy but can i keep my softies in the 180 or will they throw to much slime cleaning themselves or in defense?

Thanks

Adam

Carlos
03/11/2003, 12:12 PM
You can keep them both but it is argued that softies chemicals tend to slow down the growth rate of sps. So, if you farming, then keep them separate as you need rapid growth rate. if you are an sps lover, you will eventually come out of the dark side by getting rid of all your softies and LPS ;) If you want a varied tank and dont care much for rapid growth, then both softies and SPS will do just fine.

HTH,

Carlos

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 01:00 PM
Carlos,

I appreciate the quick response. I never had heard that before i think i will try and keep the softies in my 60 breeder. I have no SPS at all yet (no halides)but i am itching to get some and want good growth rates.

Were you saying that LPS will cause the same slow down or just take up room?

Will anemones do anything to SPS other than the obvious stinging?

What do you think of the 20,000k Radiums have you ever tried them?

They are a little blue in tint but the coralline growth is excellent at the LFS and the corals and maximas are loving them. I am thinking about 3 400w halides and 4 110w vho's probably 2 actinic 2 white if i get the radiums. Sound good? I am new to the SPS sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

adam

Cyberchef
03/11/2003, 01:26 PM
You need to be caeful with both softies and LPS. Both can pack a serious whollup as far as chemical warfare and stinging, just depends o the corals. Some of the LPS can send out a "feeler", that can be deadly to other corals, as far as 10"-12" and some of the softies can release some really nasty toxins. BTW never frag softies in the display tank, remove them and frag them in a seperate container.

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 02:16 PM
I know what your saying about the stinger my LPS does it sometimes at night. I am going to give it a large in diameter place to grow as its going in a 180 and i am not going to do the box of rocks thing again so it should not be a problem. I have heard your not supposed to frag in the tank, but i did it once to a sinularia lucky for me nothing happened i take them out now. Thanks for the advice:)

pi
03/11/2003, 02:19 PM
I have also heard many times that certain softcorals do possess a chemical that hinders that calcification of hard corals. Personally, I keep both in very close proximity and have no problems with growth rates on my LPS and SPS. Matter fact, I welcome a slowdown of growth... I have included a pic to show how close they actually are. The two sacro's in the foreground and background are each over 10" across. The gold crowned toadstools are 6" high with 3-4" caps.

I do run carbon which may play a large factor in removing the inhibitting chemical.

http://www.palmettoreefs.com/gallery/paul/paulrt_4997.jpg

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 02:43 PM
Paul,

Beatiful tank, thats what i wanted to do. I like the added motion of the softies swaying with the current but my focus is going to be SPS because i have another tank for the softies. What type of lighting are you using if you don't mind me asking. I want to try the 20,000 k radiums ever used them?

pi
03/11/2003, 02:51 PM
Actually the tank is lit with VHO bulbs. Lately my focus has been collecting and growing rare SPS, but I agree I really like the look of the occasional soft coral to provide some movement with the current.

If you look carefully in the background you can see my 40 gallon prop tank that is 100% dedicated to SPS. It is plumbed to the main display, a move I would NEVER have made if I felt or seen slow growth of SPS that I could blame on the presence of soft corals. The prop tank is lit with 250 HQI 10k.

I have never used 20k bulbs but heard they are a beautiful color.

Paul

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 03:33 PM
Thats amazing i did not think you could grow that many SPS under VHO's. How many are on there and what size is the tank? I have 4 on my 90. I can see the very tip of i beleive a acro in the grow out tank. I agree the 20,000k has a beatiful color a little blue with the radium thats why i am adding a extra set of white VHO's. Really a amazing tank have you tried for tank of the month you have my vote.:D I see it says you sell frags can you give me a link.

pi
03/11/2003, 04:15 PM
I have around 20 SPS colonies in the main tank that is an Oceanic 120 RR. The prop tank is a 40 breeder drilled to act like a RR. I have heard all the arguments concerning MH vs VHO and all I can say there is more then one way to reefkeeping and light is but one factor.

Tank of the month? (LOL!) Thanks but I do not think so. This is a bare bones system and not in line with some of the past winners. Those are some INCREDIBLE systems.

Everything you see is available plus a few others. I have some nice green and purple rim monti caps that I decided to pull out of the display tank that are not pictured.

Paul

Addicted Reefer
03/11/2003, 04:44 PM
How many VHO's are on the tank? What is your secret because i really like your tank and your not using MH? Is there a website your signature link does not work for me and i did not see any frags in the photo part of reef central. My buddy who works with me and does reefs likes your tank too.:D

pi
03/12/2003, 09:33 AM
There are 6 46.5" VHO bulbs. Currently I have 2 - actinic white 50/50, 2 - actinic 03 and 2 - aquasuns. In the next few weeks I will be replacing the bulbs and removing the 50/50's.

Secrets? There are no secrets. I just think people over estimate MH or underestimate VHO. I will admit 6 bulbs is a lot. But before I moved the tank from Atlanta I only used 4 bulbs and the corals were the same and looked just as healthy.

I am attempting to complete a side by side compare of the same corals under each lighting solution (VHO vs 250w HQI). It has been a slow start and a little more challenging then I suspected. But the plan is to monthly measure the volume occupied of each frag by dropping into a large graduated cylinder then measuring displacement. I felt this is the only acurate way to measure growth. Color comparisons would be more challenging and depend on subjective analysis and pictures.

Paul

Addicted Reefer
03/12/2003, 09:45 AM
Paul ,

Thanks for the info. You have really good argument for the VHO's the proof is in the pudding. I did not think until yesterday that you could grow those bright acro's under only VHO's. I have 4 on my 90 and all my hards look good and my hydrophora grows better than my buddies whos always telling me i need halides. You opened my eyes. Are you going to put your growth results on here once your done? That must be a pain to measure them.

Thanks again

adam

pi
03/12/2003, 10:09 AM
No problem.

So far I have not measured any. The acclimation to MH has been slow and greatly affecting the results. I almost need a third party coral(s) most likely wild for best results. The problem is if I use a coral out of VHO, then you have a period of slow growth under MH as it acclimates and vice versa. In addition, I underestimated the power of the 250w HQI's and bleached several frags, frags that came out of 400w mogul systems.

I will post results here but they will be far from scientific and open to critism so it will be done carefully.

Paul

Newreeflady
03/13/2003, 06:02 PM
I ran a 20kk radium on my 65g (since been taken down to make way for future 90g), my ballast is blueilne 400w e-ballast. While I really liked it at first, I grew to like a brighter look eventually and I plan on 10kk for my 90g with possible addition of the 400w radium in the middle it I see fit.

Metal Halide vs VHO , I do not know where growth is concerned, but I can say that I love the point source lighting of MH because of the glimmer lines, it is like sunlight in a pool. Don't get me wrong, Paul's tank is EXCELLENT in color and i'm sure growth is phenomenal, I just happen to like the glimmer lines and couldn't give them up in a large system. My 10g is lighted by PCs and it has some amazing color and very nice growth as well.

Angela.

Wazzel
03/14/2003, 10:04 AM
Paul

I am another VHO only user and I have been pleasantly supries by the way my SPS react to the 440 watts VHO I have. At first I expected them to bleach to brown but that has not happened in the 9 months it has been since I added my first. My growth rate hase been enough fo me. I don;t know if it is fast or slow b/c I have nothing to compare it to. My first couple were darker in color (green, brown, teal) and now I want to try some brighter colors. Do you find a particular combo of bulbs better than others. I currently run 2-50/50 and 2-actinic.

pi
03/14/2003, 10:15 AM
Yes, I highly recommend the AquaSuns. They offer more PAR then the other two and much better for SPS. I noticed a very nice improvement in color when I made the switch from from 50/50 and actinics to two of each.

You will hear/read the the AquaSuns appear too pink for some reefers, but personally I cannot tell.

Paul

Addicted Reefer
03/14/2003, 10:57 AM
Newreeflady,

I finally found someone who has used the radiums. So they turn even whiter when the break in . I was planning on using 2 6 foot blue actincs as well so that might help a little or where you using blue as well?

What does everybody think about 2 blues/2 aqua suns and 3 x 400 radiums to much light? I have a air hockey table fan to cool things but the evaporation is going to suck.

Does anyone think i will still see the glimmer lines of the halides?

I currently have the same setup as Wazzel and was happy although i never bought SPS other than the one i attached because i beleived in a myth. It actually grows better in my tank than his and he always gives me crap about the VHOs.

:)

Wazzel
03/14/2003, 11:01 AM
Paul

I have seen tank with the aquasun bulbs only and they were to pink for me. I guess mixing in 2 AS in to a 6 bulb set up would be OK. Now it is time to find a ballast, endcaps and bulbs.

Addicted Reefer
03/14/2003, 11:38 AM
I already have a icecap 660s and the end caps because i am tearing down the tank the VHOs are on. How do you run 6 off one ballast or are they not icecap? I just have to buy 6' bulbs and the tank but i found it cheap, halides, i have the southdown and some LR. And about 10 DIY projects lucky for me all i have is time write now and my taxes are coming.:D Next step is the stand and canopy.

Wazzel
03/17/2003, 08:51 AM
You can not run 6 bulbs on a IC660. I need to find a ballast to add the 2 bulbs to my 4 bulb system I currently have.

Addicted Reefer
03/17/2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Wazzel
You can not run 6 bulbs on a IC660. I need to find a ballast to add the 2 bulbs to my 4 bulb system I currently have.

Thats what i thought,

thanks

stephane
04/04/2003, 05:51 PM
Here is 3 radium on HQI and 3 VHO actinic on icecap
give color to SPS no other bulb give but I would not realy recomend this bulb for softy or lps

http://zapzap.zwf.net/albums/Album-de-stephane/adv.jpg

Addicted Reefer
04/04/2003, 08:31 PM
stephane,

Beautiful tank i love the look of radiums. Why do you not recommend the bulb for LPS and softies? And how is the growth rate on the acros i heard the 20k can be less productive? I plan on mostly SPS and clams but i have some softies and LPS that will be going in the 185g. Thanks for the reply and i appreciate the comment in your signature i have family and friends over there in Iraq :thumbsup:

stephane
04/05/2003, 12:25 AM
I tink this bulb is not giving the best color on some softy or LPS
the green,and yellow will not look as beautiful than in a low kelvin bulb I found them to be a bit to power full for most LPS
like frogspaw,candy cane open braine........ they seen to take like forever to adapt to the bulb and grow very slow

on the other hand the SPS grow realy well and the color is amazing each coral you buy will be a suprise all brown turn
purple,blue,orange...... you never know :D
I use them on the HQI ballast with spider reflector 6 inch from the water and I tink this make the difference

I was with iwasaki 250 before and I have not see any slow in grow on other coral then the LPS

see you

Toutouche
04/10/2003, 12:00 PM
Stephane,
I'll have to disagree with you about the LPS and softies. Mine are continually growing well, and I've had my Radiums for about 2 or 3 months now, as you know ( since I got the bulbs from you), my SPS continue to grow fast. Matter of fact, some of them are even growing faster now!!! This might also have to do with the difference in depth of our tanks. Mine being 30", and yours being 24". I remember you telling me that your bulbs are bleaching all the non-SPS, but I guess as they say " Every tank is different". Another difference between our tanks is that I run actinics only as a dusk/daw, and during the day my Radiums run for 10 hours by themselves. I believe you're running your Radiums WITH the flourescants at the same time, right? Maybe the fact that you have more than just Radiums running at the same time and that your tank is more shallow at 24", is what is overpowering the LPS and softies?? Also, the coloring of my LPS and softies has not changed, and they continue to look nice and colorful.