PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean bristleworms info??

Edgar VM
03/10/2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Ron

I wonder whether you have any info about how to rise mediterranean bristleworms (or any bristleworm for that matter) A friend of mine in Spain would like to try reproducing some species and is asking for help.

So if you could share info or give me some references we would be glad
Regards

rshimek
03/11/2003, 12:32 PM
Hi Edgar,

Well, it depends a lot on what you mean by "bristleworms." That term can either be a generalized term for all polychaete annelids, or a more-or-less specific term for the common aquarium fireworms or amphinomids.

If your friend is using it in the general sense, there has to be a lot of published information in scientific journals that concentrate on that region, and I would suggest your friend contact a local biologist for some assistance.

If your friend wants to raise some of the local amphinomids or fireworms, I don't have any specific information on them, but these are probalby the easiest of all coral reef aquarium animals to breed.

Simply set up a tank with some sand and live rock. Maintain it at the appropriate environmental conditions. Introduce some worms and feed the tank on a regular basis. The worms will take care of the rest. They generally reproduce quite well.

Good luck!

Edgar VM
03/11/2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Ron

Thanks, yes, he's interested in raising some of the amphinomids, in fact he gave me the scientific names, but i don't have his original message with me rigth now :(

I'll tell him to follow your advice
Thanks
Edg