PDA

View Full Version : open brain what to do?

reeferaddict
03/07/2003, 05:33 PM
I have a beautiful flouescent green open brain that is on the slow decline. I hate to dapart with this as it cost me about $60 and it is a nice piece. I know it may recover, but I lost an amazing purple and green open brain last month and fear the same fate for this one if I can't find the problem. I can't really track down my problem as all test within range but I do have some fluctuations:rolleyes:
All mushroom, zoo's, xenia and my tree coral look pretty good, but my LPS's are suffering, except for a maze brain which seem healthy and a blasto frag from jon that is doing really well.(thanks again) Anyone thnk they could nurse the coral back to health while i work out the problem(only a sligh section is begining to recede) or would anyone like to trade this nice sized specimen for a colt frag or some nice zoo's or shrooms?
Any ideas on the potential problems?

thanks-
reeferaddict:bum:

edsiajb
03/08/2003, 09:13 AM
What kind of lighting do you have/how old are the bulbs? I would be willing to try and save the brain. I have some zoo's and mushrooms I can trade you. Let me know.

reeferaddict
03/08/2003, 12:08 PM
I don't really think its my lighting but it is possible. I am running two 65wt pc bulb over a 29gl. 10000kdaylight is about a month old and the actinic is about six months old. The lights are about 9"-10" from the coral though. I have though about moving my lights about 2 1/2" closer to the water as I feel the are a littel too high now for maximium efficiency.

I really don't want to get rid of this coral, but I don't want to see it wither away even more so :rolleye1:

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the offer.

Leviathan
03/14/2003, 05:42 PM
Was wondering how your brain has been doing?

Is it getting any better, or did you go ahead and let someone else try to nurse it back to health? Ever figure out what the problem was?

jsfakianos
03/14/2003, 05:50 PM
I read your post again after Leviathan replied... Give us an update.

My LPS corals do wonderfully in my tank. I always thought that the trick was feeding them. Do you feed your open brain?

If you think that it is going to eventually die, I will give you a couple of my pieces in exchange for the coral. I have a toad stool coral and some nice star polyps that I would part with. I also have some larger pavona corals (a step or two above a frag).

Send me an e-mail. Maybe we could meet this weekend.

Jeff

Leviathan
03/14/2003, 05:54 PM
I also have some larger pavona corals (a step or two above a frag).

That frag you gave me at the meeting is doing great BTW.:D Thanks so much.

jsfakianos
03/14/2003, 08:15 PM
I like to hear that the pavona is doing well. It has a long history. A friend of mine bought it for $4 out of a "throw-out" tank from a fish store that used to be in B'ham. The frag was no bigger than 1-inch at the time but grew to the size of a basketball in about a year under VHO lamps. It looked like it was wearing a bright green fur coat. He would break off frags from time to time and give them out. He gave up the hobby a while back and gave me the mother colony. I recently broke it up and it seems to be making its way around B'ham again.

Leviathan
03/15/2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by jsfakianos
I like to hear that the pavona is doing well. It has a long history. A friend of mine bought it for $4 out of a "throw-out" tank from a fish store that used to be in B'ham. The frag was no bigger than 1-inch at the time but grew to the size of a basketball in about a year under VHO lamps. It looked like it was wearing a bright green fur coat. He would break off frags from time to time and give them out. He gave up the hobby a while back and gave me the mother colony. I recently broke it up and it seems to be making its way around B'ham again.

Well thats what its all about.:)

Thanks again

jsfakianos
03/19/2003, 02:53 PM
Is the brain dead?

reeferaddict
03/19/2003, 09:44 PM
Not yet:( But it doesn't look too good. I couldn't get in touch with anyone last week or the weekend and I don't think anyone else can really save it now:( It has only a few patches of flesh which have eroded; it could pull through, but I'm not betting on it:rolleye1: but I'm not giving up on it either.
I did several small water changes just to tweak the H2O quality and dillute any problem that I could. and I repositioned it just in case flow was an element. I usually have had success feeding LPS's but this coral would never take any kind of food, I got it from the bums:p about six months ago and it looked great for about five:rolleyes:

Leviathan
03/19/2003, 11:35 PM
I got it from the bums about six months ago and it looked great for about five

Hahhaahaahaa:D

Hmmmm... I wonder who you are refering to?:)