PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby

planker
03/07/2003, 01:22 PM
I'm from the STL area and just got a 125 gal tank and doing a lot of reading recently on what to expect and things i need. and have a local question for all you STL area people.

is there a need for a chiller in our area? I know that it very hot and humid here in the STL area and i don't want to wait till it gets hot and my water temp starts going up and have to get one in a quick decision.

does anyone have any experiance with "Medusa Digital Temperature Controllers" and what kind of chillers do you recommend?

thanks for any help

Rob

TooFar2Sea
03/07/2003, 04:19 PM
A major source of heat in a reef tank is the lights. Do you know what type you will be using? Also, will the tank be in a room that is air conditioned?

Josh125
03/07/2003, 05:39 PM
I don't think too many folks run chillers, it really depends on what you keep your house temp at in summer.

I would hold off until you know for sure you need one $$$$$$$$$$

I would suggest running an open top with fans blowing across the water, this helps in evaporation and cooling the tank.

griss
03/09/2003, 09:58 PM
Hi Planker and
[welcome]

I have a 200 gallon tank, 100 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium. The tank is in the basement with 3 250 watt metal halides, 2 400 watt metal halides, 55 watt PC and 300 watts of VHO on the whole system. I have never used a chiller.

In the summer we set our air conditioner at 72-74 degrees and I run 2 small 6" box fans across the surface of the water for cooling evap. My tank has never gone over 84 degrees.

HTH,

George

planker
03/10/2003, 08:09 AM
thanks for the info

amy_2281
03/12/2003, 05:29 AM
I would like to welcome you and I am one of the newbies around here :) I am located at the Lake of the Ozarks ! The one thing I can say is you are way lucky to be so close to St Louis these guys are a big help! Good Luck and May the Shwartz be with you !