PDA

View Full Version : Are these zoos?

Fish-N-Kids
03/07/2003, 12:55 PM
Not sure if my picture will post. As stated in other posts, my camera is horrible.

I bought yellow polyps on line about 6 mths ago and there were a few of these things on the rock. Now it appears they destroyed the yellow polyps and I'm finding them in different places in my tank. There are still a few yellow polyps on the back of the rock, but not many.

If they are zoos, do they normally eat othere polyps? Will they eat anything else?

Oh, also, they tenticles get really long. They are red with a green center.

Thanks.

icebear
03/07/2003, 04:07 PM
Green Button Polyps i bet

dellrio
03/07/2003, 06:18 PM
i had those grow naturally on my rock. they started out kinda brownish green and then i started to feed them and they became greener. they are brown button polyps;.. but maybe if u feed them they may get some green like mine did..

Evangeline
03/16/2003, 05:33 PM
i had bought a rock FILLED with those long yellow zoanthids.the rockhad a few of the common little brown button polyps, and after maybe three or four months, they had completely overtaken the yellow ones. i dont know if that kind of zoo is more sensitive, or what, but i won't buy any other yellow polyp rock with any other kind of polyps on it.

Fish-N-Kids
03/16/2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the responses! They have definately multiplied, I've seen them in other spots in my tank. At first I figured it was some sort of polyp, but then the tenticles grew longer than the other polyps that I've seen and they started to look "mean". Thats when I thought maybe they weren't something I was supposed to keep in my tank.

They are kinda cool looking, but I'm not sure I'd want a tank full of them.

:D

Sarnack
03/20/2003, 03:34 AM
Not a great pic but my guess is Protopalythoa. If the tentacles are pointed at the tips and alternate up-down around the polyp then for sure. They feed on anything meaty. They dont eat other corals but kill them with the toxins the give off.