PDA

View Full Version : OT: Looking for some help on possible relocation to Thousand Oaks, CA.

tangman99
03/06/2003, 01:25 AM
Hi everyone,

Argi suggested that I might be able to get some help from you. I'm looking to possibly relocate from Florida to Thousand Oaks, CA and was looking for some information on the best places to live. If you have some insight, would you please read my link at:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160014

Thanks for any help you can give.

moonpod
03/06/2003, 10:18 AM
Depends on your price range. I dunno about where you are in FL, but home prices in the LA region are OUT OF CONTROL right now. Thousand Oaks and thereabouts is a little better, or rather at least you get a little more for your money than say metro LA. I grew up in the SF valley in Northridge which isn't that far away. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods towards Thousand Oaks, many are relatively new developments. Honestly, if you don't HAVE to buy right away, I wouldn't. This real estate market just can't be sustainable. The only down side to waiting though is that these interest rates won't stay this low forever either. I personally just bought a house, and yes, I do feel like I got ripped off.:rolleye1:

Simi is probably a good deal area, but for my two cents, not that interesting of a place to live. Some of what would constitute a good place to live is highly subjective. Where's your job? Can you stand a commute (the 101 freeway BTW is HORRIBLE). Do you have kids? Some areas with nice houses at better prices have BAD schools. The SF valley (Encino, Woodland Hills etc...) is pricier, but far more interesting by my lights. Course I plunked down $$$$$ to live in metro L.A.--course I work downtown as well....

Another factor is just how much smog can you take. Santa Clarita for instance has great schools, reasonable pricing on houses, and will give you your life's dose of air borne carcinogens in about a year. The air is MUCH better towards some of the coastal areas and towards Ventura. Not all of L.A. is a smog pit, and it's in particular worse towards Valencia and the East Valleys (but the East Valleys are a LONG way from TO). This time of year is not when to judge the smog levels. You gotta look at what it's like during August and Sept.

tangman99
03/06/2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks Moonpod. That is a lot of helpful information.

sberman
03/07/2003, 10:12 PM
hi i live in t.o. now it is a good place to live good schools if you have kids ,shooping , other areas are newbury park , or westlake , or agora, depends on your price range
any questions just post it here or email me at sberman431@aol.com

Sea
03/30/2003, 09:22 AM
My sister lives in San Clamente, she says if you want to live out here youll get used to it. She bought her house for around 375,000 5yrs. ago, says its now almost trippled in value. If this is true a guy could make money just movin around.:) Dave Flood

Eric Boerner
03/31/2003, 11:49 AM
Some friends of mine bought a house in Universal City 2 years ago for $650,000. They just sold it for $780,000 and bought another house 3 blocks down the road for $975,000.

House prices in LA are a bit rediculous right now.

You could always move to Victorville and commute 2 hours to work. You can get a semi-mansion here right now for under $200,000. For $385,000 there is a 12 bed, 6 bath, ranch style mansion in Apple Valley, has a 5 car garage, and seperate maid quarters.