PDA

View Full Version : Lagoon tank

KarlGareson
03/04/2003, 10:43 PM
Hi Mr. Calfo,
I want to have a lagoon tank setup this summer. I would like to have many different algaes and sea grasses. I was reading your book about these kinds of tank and I have a question. I remember reading that a deep tank is needed for sea grasses. What would be the minimum depth I should give after a 4-5" DSB is in place. I hope you understand my meaning.
Karl

Anthony Calfo
03/04/2003, 10:59 PM
Cheers, Karl...

Seagrasses like Thalassia and Syringodium will need a minimum sand depth of 6" for best results. The plants themsleves should be at least 3" under the surface too for optimal results. Some folks would argue that even this is too shallow. I prefer deeper, but must admit to having and seeing colonies over 5 years established and running strong in just 6".

Cutting will root in less deep beds... but for a colony to thrive for many years, or even improve chances of success just getting pods started, the greater depth is recommended.

Best regards!

Anthony

KarlGareson
03/05/2003, 04:20 PM
Thank you much for the information. I will keep the seagrass in a deeper sand bed. My tank will be 10" after a 6" sandbed so i hope to do good with that.

I wanted to give a link to you but do not know how. In the Main reef forum here there is a thread about zoo's, how toxic they are. You posting might help people understand what zood can do to people if you have been poisned like someone said. I hope you do not mind my suggesting for you to answer the thread. :confused: :)

KarlGareson
03/07/2003, 04:50 PM
Sorry, did not want to offend when asking. I have offended too many people of respect here in the past two days.

Anthony Calfo
03/07/2003, 08:11 PM
No worries, Karl... no offense at all. A fine suggestion... I did not chime in for lack of time :)

Best regards,

Anthony