PDA

View Full Version : Some question to dr Ron

capel
03/04/2003, 03:49 PM
Hi r ron,

I have read with a great interest your pubications on heavy metals found in a reef aquaria, but you did not mention one major elemnt of NSW that is Bromide? Craig Bingman in Aquarium Frontiers Online wrote an artical on it showing that artificial salts contain no Br (for stability reasons) and he suggested to add it . What do you think about this?

After a former publication from C Bingman about the high concentration of heavy metals in salt, I wrote to Aquarium system, they said that these results were due to the analysis method (dissolution of salt in HCL) and that the metals are not active in a normal solution.

You are advocating deep sans beds of sugar grade material, in one publication on advanced reefkeeping Julian Sprung who I met in the CIRCOP in Paris, described Jaubert system that needs coarse garvel to work what is your opinion on that?

I have just stopped my 6 years ld tank and in the sand i found almost nothing of macroscopic life but a tremendous amount of phosphate. How can you hold a significant amount of critters in the long run?

What do you think about DSB or Jaubert in the sump and no sand at all in the tank?

Bernard Capel (A frenchie that nethertheless like USA).

rshimek
03/04/2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by capel

Hi Bernard,

I have read with a great interest your pubications on heavy metals found in a reef aquaria, but you did not mention one major elemnt of NSW that is Bromide?

I didn't test brominated compounds. The methodology my lab used was not set up to handle it.

Craig Bingman in Aquarium Frontiers Online wrote an artical on it showing that artificial salts contain no Br (for stability reasons) and he suggested to add it . What do you think about this?

I don't think it has much of an effect at all.

they said that .... the metals are not active in a normal solution.

That is pure and simply not true. See my article to be published tomorrow in [rk]

k what is your opinion on that?

I don't think Sprung has any conception, at all, of what happens in sand beds.

How can you hold a significant amount of critters in the long run?

You can't. The sand bed needs to be periodically refreshed and replenished.

What do you think about DSB or Jaubert in the sump and no sand at all in the tank?

I don't think they will work very well in a sump. Do a search of the "Ask Dr. Ron" forum here in Reef Central, and use "DSB" and "sump" as the search words. You will find a number of threads that discuss this topic.

:D