PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning

cmoresps
03/04/2003, 03:15 AM
Anthony,
Thanks for all of your help over the past year via wetwebmedia!

I am faced with a potential change and wanted your input.

I have a 55 reef and a 160 fowl, I want to set up my 160 reef except I have a resident show queen angel that i cant bear to sell. Last month it got a vial internal infection, it over came it, but seems to be having a vision problem, it sees well enough to know I am there, and swims normally, but cant seem to pinpoint food. I have tried everything, the fish wants to eat, and I keep romaine and seaweed in the tank for it to feed on. Have you ever heard of this condition? Tank parameters are perfect, at least for a fowl.

In the event I lose this fish, I am definately setting this up reef, a 55 is too small for propegation ect, I have pretty much what I need (halides, calc reactor, turbofloator, uv) but in terms of filtration, I have currently two wet dries, they are indeed massive trate factories, is there a site you know of where otheres have DIYed alternative filtration (thinking via calerpa). I do have 90 lbs of rock in the tank, but it has been coppered in the past, is it possible to reuse it in a reef a base rock or should I trash it (or sell for other fowls)?

If I set up with 80 lbs of new rock, and transfer from 55 existing, is 6 months long enough to sustain acros (I have read elsewhere 1 yr is best, but I have to eliminate the 55 due to cletus the fetus who will soon be taking up one of my tank rooms), I have some nice pieces and dont want to risk loss

thx
cmore :fun2:

Anthony Calfo
03/04/2003, 04:11 AM
Anthony,
Thanks for all of your help over the past year via wetwebmedia!

-- my great pleasure bud. :)

I am faced with a potential change and wanted your input.
I have a 55 reef and a 160 fowl, I want to set up my 160 reef except I have a resident show queen angel that i cant bear to sell. Last month it got a vial internal infection, it over came it, but seems to be having a vision problem,

--very common. The blindness may be temporary, or it may be permenant. Often mitigated by the medication of all things. Any hostile drugs used like Dylox?

it sees well enough to know I am there, and swims normally, but cant seem to pinpoint food. I have tried everything, the fish wants to eat, and I keep romaine and seaweed in the tank for it to feed on. Have you ever heard of this condition? Tank parameters are perfect, at least for a fowl.

--yes... very common (the blindness). For most it comes back within weeks if its gonna. For some it does return very slowly over months. Try to compensate in the meantime by training the angel to feed in one upper corner of the tank at the surface at the same time every day. They can be conditioned easily.

In the event I lose this fish, I am definately setting this up reef, a 55 is too small for propegation ect, I have pretty much what I need (halides, calc reactor, turbofloator, uv) but in terms of filtration, I have currently two wet dries, they are indeed massive trate factories,

--agreed

is there a site you know of where otheres have DIYed alternative filtration (thinking via calerpa).

--- not aware of a site... its rather overthought too. Nothing is really needed for your reef besides a lot of live rock and/or sand. Still... if you wanna play with cool alt macros (Gracilaria, Chaetomorpha, Ochtodes, etc)... so be it. They are beautiful and can be useful :)

I do have 90 lbs of rock in the tank, but it has been coppered in the past, is it possible to reuse it in a reef a base rock or should I trash it (or sell for other fowls)?

--- strange thing about it, it can be used with invertebrates, but they just cant touch it :p Seriously. The copper it will leach in time is negligable... no worries here. Put i the sump the rock will be fine... but put somewhere where snails, corals and other soft bodied animals can lay on it is slightly dangerous. I'd sell the rock to someone that can use it for a fish-only tank.

If I set up with 80 lbs of new rock, and transfer from 55 existing, is 6 months long enough to sustain acros (I have read elsewhere 1 yr is best, but I have to eliminate the 55 due to cletus the fetus who will soon be taking up one of my tank rooms), I have some nice pieces and dont want to risk loss

--Longer the better, but due diligence to water quality can abbreviate it.

Best regards! Anthony