PDA

View Full Version : Vacation disaster!

kingsfan8888
03/03/2003, 09:58 PM
I am so ****ed off! I go on vacation to Tahoe w/ my girl freind. Her sister who moved in a month ago was supposed to only feed the fish, shattered every bulb in my canopy. When I get home she is gone and a note says sorry about the tank. I am going to stay at my parents house for a couple days. She does not pay rent. Eats all of my food. Has her geeky freinds over who block my driveway so I can not get in my own garage.

She says the big blue fish bit her and water hit the bulbs and they all broke. So I am picking glass out of my tank and have 2 400 watt radiums to replace and 2 250 watt bluelines. The bulbs were brand new January and she "does not make enough money to replace them." Funny how she had enough money to put rims on her Chevy full size last month. Bottom line my g/f is mad because I have said her sister will not return. My corals went 4 days with no light! The wave maker was turned off I have no idea why and my tank which was rebounding had a few of my colonies and frags take a big dump. The PH is only at 7.6. It was at 8.2-8.4. What is woman slaughter getting these days. Bulbs cost 410 bucks to replace with tax and shipping. God I hate family sometimes. Thanks for letting me vent! The main thing I am mad about is the frags that are a little banged up. No current other than main pump and no light is very bad for acros. I now Know that.

David P
03/03/2003, 10:00 PM
all I can say is "Ouch, sorry"

fayzane
03/03/2003, 10:01 PM
Dude, sooo sorry! Yes, unfortunately you cant always choose your relatives. Tell G/F sister may return ONLY FOR SUPERVISED VISITS, lest she slaughter any more specimins. If she has a problem with that, then, well, she has a problem!

Konadog
03/03/2003, 10:40 PM
Sorry to here that, girlfriends can be replaced as easy as frags, and much easier that bulbs :D

natex
03/04/2003, 03:46 AM
What the hell was she doing to get the fish to bite her? Do you have to put your hand in the tank to feed fish? I don't see why her hand was near the water at all. If you need to replace those frags, just host a frag swap and reap the donations! Hint hint....

kingsfan8888
03/04/2003, 05:15 PM
I am assuming my Niger trigger bit her as my regal tang is no threat. My girlfreinds dad is totally in agreement with me but, the problem is he does not want her to move back in either. Something about her being 23 and unable to support herself :rolleyes: I do not know why she can not understand that? My girlfreind is now mad at her because she saw how much it cost to replace the bulbs. (My girl freind also loves the tank and the corals.) Anyway now everyone is fighting over who has to take the dumb broad in and in the meantime she is a neurotic mess. I might be willing to let her stay 2 weeks but that is it. I'll probly put barbed wire around the tank! God I can not stand this. She thinks she is the victim and nobody loves her. Truth is we all love her:rolleyes: it is just nobody likes her! Thanks for the sympathy guys. I would host a frag swap but, I get yelled at for spilling water as it is I do not need to get yelled at for any additional messes. :rollface:

Wilafur
03/04/2003, 09:31 PM
screw her. 23 and she cannot take care of herself? please. kick her to the curb and i bet she will wise up and take responsibility for her life. remember, it is her life, if she decides to wash it down the drain by doing nothing positive with it, let it be as the result will be her own fault.

SurferStevo
03/04/2003, 11:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss (maybe it will end up being a gain now that your g/f's sister is gone?).
I wonder maybe we could get some type of service together so that when we go on vacation there would be a local reefer to "check in" on the tank. You know do top-offs, feed once or twice & make sure that the tank keeps running while you're gone.
When I go on vacation I ask my neighbor to looks after my tanks & it is always a disaster (not to the purportions you experienced). One time I came home to find my salinity at 1.0295 & my (now empty) reservoir was powerhead was running because the float switch in the sump kept it on.
I'd be willing to pay for a service like this - that way I could actually relax during a vacation instead of worrying about my reef!

dznuts007
03/05/2003, 10:25 PM
First rule of Reef-Club: Do not let others take care of your tank

Second rule of Reef-Club: Do not let others take care of your tank

Sorry to hear about all that. I can totally see how you feel right now. Hope things turn back normal for you...

Konadog
03/05/2003, 11:42 PM
dznuts007, I thought that the Second rule of Reef-Club was: Do not talk about letting others take care of your tank!

:D

SurferStevo
03/06/2003, 12:12 AM
First rule of Reef-Club: Do not let others take care of your tank
I think I need a definition of the word "others". Does this mean your average Joe neighbor? Does that include another reefer?
Or does the word "others" encompass anyone that is not you?

David P
03/06/2003, 07:35 PM
others(uth erz) adj. 1. people who do not know the term kalkwasser.
:D

fayzane
03/11/2003, 08:35 PM
Just hang in there dude, at least your girlfriend is now on your side!! Its not your fault that G/F's clumsy sister cannot fathom the ramifications of her carelessness, and it sounds as though you are handling the situation as appropriately as possible....talk to G/F about frag party - something tells me that given the circumstances, she wont mind a little water spilling this time.....:D

Aaron1100us
03/12/2003, 03:43 AM
Put up a sign that says "DANGER, KEEP AWAY" :)