PDA

View Full Version : "Sea weed" in the refugium?

SeanT
03/01/2003, 05:27 PM
I live in Wilmington, NC near the beach, and there is always sea weed out there when we go fishing,

Would there be any benefits/detriments to trying some of this out in my fuge that anyone can forsee?

Always looking for some diversity.

technoshaman
03/01/2003, 07:12 PM
Sean, I would think it might work just two things. 1) I would consider wilmington a temperate coastal area - in a tank with reef temperatures it may not do so hot. 2) I know from living near the ocean those huge rifts of seaweed house all kinds of critters some good and some bad - might introduce something ugly into tank, just give it a good rinse first. Also on that note if it's near a coastal area and civilization give it a good rinse in new sea water to get any chemicals or petrol type compounds that may still be on the plant.

piercho
03/01/2003, 07:17 PM
Sean, if it is in full saltwater, and has a thin ribbon-shaped blade, IMO it's likely Zostera marina. We call it eel grass over here. I saw a distribution chart for it that showed it growing as far south as southern Florida, but it isn't listed in my Caribbean marine plant handbook.

SeanT
03/01/2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys.
I will give it a shot but wait until the summer.
Some days we head out pretty far and make it into the gulfstream. At least thats what my drunken friends dad says :rolleyes:.
I will try to harvest some from there as the temps are even warmer.

greenman
03/08/2003, 01:50 PM
Even in NC that stuff does travel you know its in warmer water at some piont in time..... I would give the stuff a try if it grows well then use it.....

I used alot of rock off of north topsail beach.... stuff is good shapes and has alot of differnt sizes covers up with life in no time flat .....

bmcelhinn
03/08/2003, 02:06 PM
I recently tried that, it didn't work, I tried several kinds at once. The all died within a few days and now I have nitrite in my water and it hasn't gone down in 4 days, I don't know what to do.

SeanT
03/10/2003, 10:39 AM
You be usin' that skanky california weed. :smokin:
Do a water change to help control your nitrites?
Sure it wasn't nitrates?

bmcelhinn
03/10/2003, 12:26 PM
Nope, Nitrite.

SeanT
03/10/2003, 01:27 PM
That's weird.
I was under the impression you only have nitrites during a cycle.

bmcelhinn
03/10/2003, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I was surprized too.

billsreef
03/10/2003, 09:27 PM
Probably the decay caused the nitrite spike. A good water change should help get things back in order.