PDA

View Full Version : my 18 Gallon Nano

technoshaman
03/01/2003, 03:49 PM
Does that count as a nano? It's an 18 gallon acrylic cube with the back 1/5th a sump area and a small via aqua pump returning water. I pulled out most of the stuff in the sump and threw some LR rubble and algae back there to make a refugium (made a small screen out of egg crate and mesh to cover pump intake). Tank is lit by a 96 watt powerquad CSL pendant and has a single rio 600 for water movement (going to try one of those aquaglobe PHs instead - Rio's make me nervous). I change about 1 - 2 gallons a week and top off with ro/di water. Have been using aragamilk for calcium and so far so good.

Inhabitants-
Corals: Ricordea Florida
Sarcophyton
5 Varieties of Zooanthids
Kenya Tree
Sm. Trachyphyllia Geoffryoi
Green Sinularia (2 types)
Sinularia flexibilis
Encrusting gorgonians
Pterogorgia purple gorgonian
Caulastrea
Yellow polyps
sm. Red fungia
A few small single bullseye mushrooms

Inverts: 2 small cleaner shrimp
1 Fire/blood shrimp (he's coming out too as soon as I catch him - has been munching my new zooanthid growth)
2 nassarius snails
1 cerith
2 Astrella
1 Unidentifed snail
unidentified green starfish (moving to my 75 gallon - worried about him getting enought food)

Fish: Pair of yellow watchmen gobies
six-line wrasse
red honey damsel (was a temporary thing but will be pulling him out as soon as I can catch him - he's at bottom of pecking order but that may change)

Overall I am really pleased with the tank with the exception that cleaning is a pain with the curved acrylic. One fish and shrimp are comig out and the only coral I plan to add may be a few more ricordeas and some interesting zooanthid morphs, maybe a small squamosa. Nitrates are currently about 5ppm thinking that's mostly due to high fish load and fuge is still getting established/tweaked. Comments or suggestions welcome.

Front view of tank:

http://www.maast.org/modules.php?set_albumName=technoshaman&id=nanoclean&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

The front - center of my sandbed and one of the gobies shooting by doing goby things.

http://www.maast.org/modules.php?set_albumName=technoshaman&id=sand_goby&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php