PDA

View Full Version : fragging an open brain?

Zain
02/28/2003, 08:57 PM
how would i got about doing this (never propagated Stoney coral)
i know its kinda small, i wana know this for future refrence.
http://www11.brinkster.com/reeftanks/brain_coral.jpg

TIGER SHARK
03/05/2003, 02:18 PM
I get this error when I click on your link

HTTP1.1 STATUS 403 Remote Access to this object forbidden This file cannot be directly accessed from a remote site, but must be linked through the Brinkster Member's site.

Dr.Dre
03/05/2003, 02:38 PM
:/ ya ill fix that but um how do you frag an open brain coral?

FishhyRen
03/05/2003, 02:51 PM
what? do you have like 10 screen names on RC or something?

TIGER SHARK
03/05/2003, 04:09 PM
Check out this thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132684&highlight=single+open+brain

Palmetto
03/05/2003, 05:15 PM
You can put a rubber band around the center of the coral to create a dead strip- the flesh will recede from the skeleton, and begin healing into two separate pieces of healthy tissue separated by a hard, dead skeleton piece. Then, use a dremel saw or something to cut through it.

I have done this with a monstrous non-branching hammer coral.

TIGER SHARK
03/05/2003, 08:39 PM
Palmetto again comes thru with some great info! I really appreciate the info you share with everyone around here, because some other people keep secrets on how to propagate. So big thanks! With that, do you think the rubber band method would work with a non branching bubble coral? I have heard they get infected easily but I really want to try it. What kind of rubber band would you use and how much tension can you put onto the coral without stressing it to the point of dying? Now that I have an idea of how to split non-branching LPS, I might just pick some up and try them out. Any idea of how long it might take for the flesh to heal over and safely seperate the skeleton? Your method seems safer than the method I reference earlier.

Palmetto
03/06/2003, 12:15 AM
I use a big fat rubber band and wrap it pretty tight, very snug.

In about a month all the tissue should have receded. Don't wait too long after this because it will actually start to heal up around the thing!

Keep in mind that this is risky in many types of corals, especially hammer corals that are prone to infection and tissue recession.

The brains are tougher than you think, though!

;)

Thanks for the kind words!

TIGER SHARK
03/06/2003, 02:44 AM
Hmmm so really its hit or miss with a hammer or a bubble coral... not as good to hear as I would like but I guess thats what makes things challenging. Have you tried a few times with the hammer and did you have a lot die from infection? When tissue recession occurs, did it just continue until the whole coral was gone? Isnt there any kind of antibiotic we can use to help prevent infection? hahaha If theres not, somebody should find one! Have you noticed if an infected coral will spread to another healthy one or will it usually only stay on the tissue it is touching. I guess I could try to save a hammer that is all ready receding and see how that works, they have a few at my LFS but if they will give them to me really cheap, I might get them because the colors are awesome. Sorry for all the questions... but thanks for the help!

Palmetto
03/06/2003, 11:11 AM
I have never tried and failed at fragging a hammer- but they are known to be delicate shippers and the fleshy parts are easily damaged and infected.

What I am describing does not spread to other corals, and it usually does not take the whole coral- just withdraws the flesh and leaves a hunk of ugly dead skeleton behind. This usually begins at damaged areas that may have been rubbed into the substrate or something. Lugol's dips have been said to help this, but I have not done this, personally.